High blood sugars

SerenaArthurs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've just done my first year at uni, I've been diagnosed since I was 4 and now 19. My sugars have been a bit up and down (mainly up). I'm now home for summer and my sugars seem to have just been so high these past couple of weeks, I struggle to get them down. I know snacking doesn't help but I do like to eat especially when bored but I'm trying to get in a strict regime and trying to keep things in tact but keep slipping into bad habits...
Do youu guys have any tips?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you blousing for the snacks? I mean you should be able to eat when bored (!) if you want, but you probably need to bolus for it if you also want to avoid high blood sugar.

Do you think you might need to review you basal dose to deal with a more relaxed summer? It might be worth thinking about basal testing as a starting point - http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Unjustified

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant people and liars
I don't see any problem in snacking. Being a student myself, I find myself snacking a lot, especially when studying. As long as you bolus for the snacks you eat, the only problems should be the weight gain and choosing what to snack on!

SerenaArthurs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, I really do think my problem lies with not doing as much insulin for my snacks and I do have quite a few of them :p

1980amyk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I've just done my first year at uni, I've been diagnosed since I was 4 and now 19. My sugars have been a bit up and down (mainly up). I'm now home for summer and my sugars seem to have just been so high these past couple of weeks, I struggle to get them down. I know snacking doesn't help but I do like to eat especially when bored but I'm trying to get in a strict regime and trying to keep things in tact but keep slipping into bad habits...
Do youu guys have any tips?
Is it possible that your activity levels have dropped? It may raise your levels if your used to a certain level of activity and then it suddenly reduces- just a thought...

Reactions: 3 people

Supramate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Serena, are you pumping or on MDI? Like 1980amyk suggested, maybe your activity levels have dropped since you finished uni? In that case, you might need some extra units (basal and bolus), thats what I need to do when I am being a couch potato (which is quite often). Definitely should bolus before snacking, unless you snack on low-carb or no-carb food (like cheese, almonds). And test, test, test to keep track of your BS. Hope it gets better ;)

Reactions: 3 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best thing to do is find an alternative that doesn't require a bolus!
Saying that though...it's not easy!

SerenaArthurs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not on the pump, I do injections. I am currently working with my diabetic nurse to get it under control and trying to get a hang of it again.

Thanks for the help and support !! :D

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can snack on avocado, a few nuts or olives without bolusing but not protein or carbs. If your sugars are high maybe bolusing for a snack will help lower them.