High Bloods, side effect numbness...

MsManicure

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
having diabetes, car drivers who don't indicate
Hi all,

I am struggling to come to terms with becoming insulin dependent and my bloods have been consistently in the high 20's for several months which my body has become used to and I still work and function pretty normally. However, today has been a bit different so want to see if anyone has experienced the same. I woke in early hours with pins & needles in my right hand and put it down to sleeping awkwardly and went back to bed. From the time I re-woke some 9 hours ago I have had tingling/numbness in the last 2 digits on my hand and that portion of my palm and I've not been able to do anything to get the correct sensation back. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get advice from you DSN / GP /consultant as soon as you can. Blood sugars of 20 are setting you up for serious complications in the near future that could be avoided. You must take care of yourself as no one else will.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

collectingrocks

Possibly a very outside chance of ulnar nerve compression (as this typically causes numbness in last 2 fingers) and/or carpel tunnel if wrist is involved, but as Mrs Vimes says - get to your GP ASAP and get a proper blood test done.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you eat? Food choices have a vast impact on bg so possibly you could lower your bg by diet.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed t2 in November. I went to the doctor last Monday because for several months I have woken up with "dead hands" most nights. My bg levels aren't high, feb HbA1c 52 and 2 weeks ago down to 35.
The GP ruled out carpal tunnel syndrome because I said the numbness began in the little finger side of my hands. He said it may be something to do with my elbows or neck. He checked both areas with one of those hammers. He prescribed some cream to be massaged into my elbows 3 times a day. I think it's an anti inflammatory. I'm not at home tonight so I can't check.
I've decided not to start using it just yet because today I've started on a lower dose of metformin and also changed to slow release version, and I want to see if this helps my ands. I have a suspicion the metformin might be the culprit (if the dose has been too high... I've already had it reduced once).
I read the leaflet for the metformin modified release and it mentioned that on rare occasions it can cause numbness /tingling in limbs (can't recall exact wording). So I checked my original metformin leaflet too and it said the same thing.

I've decided not to use the cream yet and I'm due to see the nurse on Tuesday anyway.

After all that, the point I'm making is that I have the symptom similar to yours but my bg levels are low.

I would consult your doctor.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possibly a very outside chance of ulnar nerve compression (as this typically causes numbness in last 2 fingers) and/or carpel tunnel if wrist is involved, but as Mrs Vimes says - get to your GP ASAP and get a proper blood test done.
X2, I needed a cortisone shot