High bloods with bipolar/bpd

mitty6678

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suffer with bipolar and personality disorder, however for the past year my bloods have been high (never below 10) and my hba1c at 87% im really worried about the fact when I am low in mood I eat and inject without testing. It feels like a horrible circle. My doctor is worried at how hard my injection sights are, stomach and arms are all I can do as my thighs never take the insulin well. Does anyone have some advise? It's hard to look after your diabetics when you are super low/high in mood.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you on medication for your bpd? I think that @ally1 says her medication affects numbers...

You know that just injecting without testing is not going to help. So you need to get that back on track.

Do you have a DSN or mental health team that you can talk to?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange that you are experiencing problems with injection sites despite frequently skipping your injections. Is there some skin condition you have that may be causing issues? Or perhaps a review of injection technique could be helpful, or changing to different needles. I know how annoying it is to have even minor damage to injection sites, I hope you can resolve this!

Also remember that diabetes affects your mood - high blood sugar affects your brain making you irritable, sleepy and confused. You said that you have trouble taking care of your diabetes when you are feeling bad, but getting your blood sugars down a bit may be highly beneficial to your emotional health. Is there someone who could hold you accountable for diabetes care and make sure you are not skipping tests/shots? A family member or good friend?

Reactions: Struma

mitty6678

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you on medication for your bpd? I think that @ally1 says her medication affects numbers...

You know that just injecting without testing is not going to help. So you need to get that back on track.

Im on meds for the bipolar but not bpd, I have started therapy and made the decision to look after myself better but have no clue where to start or wether it's too late :/

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It's never too late to look after yourself.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its brave to live well (as if you were worth looking after) so I hope you'll be brave as much as you can.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

I have bipolar not bpd. Yes I take meds for the bipolar.
What is a DSN. I do have a psych. It's just my morning bg level that is high

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

Sorry I thought you were replying to me. Sorry