High BM, no ketones - when to worry?

rach

Hi, I'm currently on gliclazide which is working pretty well, but the last couple of days I've had some through the roof blood sugars (20+) double checked after hand-washing. However have also had some totally normal readings, and I've no ketones (I have had ketones in the past with high sugars and felt unwell) and am not too too thirsty. I'm kind of hoping to sit it out unless I start to feel bad or get ketones or it lasts more than a few days - do you think this sounds reasonable? Whilst I don't feel emotionally stressed I do have a lot of work going on at present so wondering if it might be that.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
The advice i get is to keep a close eye on both Blood sugars and ketone levels when high. There's only a risk of DKA when ketones are present and blood sugar is high... if you start to vomit... go to A&E... DKA is a considered an acute medical emergancy and you should be treated straight away.

Do you have a ketone meter? Or are you testing with urine strips? A blood meter that measures ketones is much more accurate and up-to-date than the urine strips, as urine gives you information on what HAS happened in the past few hours, whereas the blood result will be up-to-date.