High BMs + Addisons

ClairedeMort

Re posting this on the T2 forum.

I’m new to all of these in my 3rd month.

Diagnosed with Addison’s and started on physiology replacement dose hydrocortisone worked out at 0.3mg/kg. (BMI 21. Early morning cortisol 39. Pre diagnosis BM 2-4. HBa1C 34.)

Since starting the hydrocortisone I’ve felt rubbish in the afternoon/evenings which I thought was because I hadn’t taken enough HC and was getting hypos. But
Found that my BM are 8.7.

My pre HC fasted BMs 3-5 at 0550hr.

I already have a low carb diet, low BMI, don’t eat sugars, vegan and exercise.

Yesterday I decided to get a grip. Took my usual 0500hr 5mg HC. BM 4.3. Ate porridge with water and seeds with pre training 2.5mg HC. (I shouldn’t take 7.5mg HC by 1200hrs) By 1015hrs BM was 6.2. (Proving something to myself) i did about 1000watts exercise and BM dropped only
to 6.1.

Utterly rubbish today. 1200hr BM 7.4

Just help.

Reading up the tablets of T2DM are all long acting which would mean that I will have hypos over night /first things.

Not taking the HC is dangerous as in death as my natural cortisol production is so low. Missing a dose or taking it late has me wilting, stopping still, can’t talk/move. Late lunch and a bit of stress out me in adrenal crisis.

High BMs have me irritable, bitingly short tempered and itchy.

What’s your experience?
How are you managing this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re posting this on the T2 forum.

I’m new to all of these in my 3rd month.

Diagnosed with Addison’s and started on physiology replacement dose hydrocortisone worked out at 0.3mg/kg. (BMI 21. Early morning cortisol 39. Pre diagnosis BM 2-4. HBa1C 34.)

Since starting the hydrocortisone I’ve felt rubbish in the afternoon/evenings which I thought was because I hadn’t taken enough HC and was getting hypos. But
Found that my BM are 8.7.

My pre HC fasted BMs 3-5 at 0550hr.

I already have a low carb diet, low BMI, don’t eat sugars, vegan and exercise.

Yesterday I decided to get a grip. Took my usual 0500hr 5mg HC. BM 4.3. Ate porridge with water and seeds with pre training 2.5mg HC. (I shouldn’t take 7.5mg HC by 1200hrs) By 1015hrs BM was 6.2. (Proving something to myself) i did about 1000watts exercise and BM dropped only
to 6.1.

Utterly rubbish today. 1200hr BM 7.4

Just help.

Reading up the tablets of T2DM are all long acting which would mean that I will have hypos over night /first things.

Not taking the HC is dangerous as in death as my natural cortisol production is so low. Missing a dose or taking it late has me wilting, stopping still, can’t talk/move. Late lunch and a bit of stress out me in adrenal crisis.

High BMs have me irritable, bitingly short tempered and itchy.

What’s your experience?
How are you managing this?

Claire - has your Doctor asked you to monitor your blood sugars, or is it something you thought to do yourself?

This is something you really do need to discuss wit your medical team, and tell them of your concerns. You noted your HbA1c about 3 months ago; when are you due to have another?

There is no doubt cortisone can increase blood sugars, but as you know too well, you need to get these things into a bit of a balance. Unfortunately with endocrinology things, it can take a little while to establish the status quo.