High BSLs after intense exercise?

krusty900

Hi: new member here:) looking for some insight if anyone can help.
I had a slightly high fasting bsl a while back and was bit worried so went and had the works done.
Came back with FBSL of 5.7
HBA1c of 5%
2 hour OGGT of 6.2
Obviously 5.7 is a bit high, but previously 5.5,then 5 now 5.7. So fluctuates a bit. Usually 5-5.4 on meter.

Just wondering I participate in F45 gym classes and would consider myself fit,gym either classes or weights 6-7 times per week.

If I have a really solid workout, interval style one, my bsls tend to shoot up to 9-12 for up to say 45 minutes after, then rapidly drop down to about 4.

Is this type of rise normal?seems high to me?or can it happen during/after intense workouts?

I am struggling to find any literature that mentions a significant rise like this?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Krusty

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @krusty900 ,

Unfortunately for some (possibly most) people it is a normal response.

When you place a lot of stress on your body, your liver dumps glucose into your system to aid the recovery process.

But clearly, it is good that you come back down quickly afterwards

krusty900

Hi, thanks For the reply.
Much appreciated.I understand the reasons for rise ,I guess I was a bit concerned that it goes that high though.
I’ll put it down to being normal for me:)
Thanks again

Reactions: urbanracer

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@krusty900 It happens in normal people as well, as long as it comes down again that is the main thing and all in all it'll just get more efficient as time goes on.