High Cholesterol? No problem!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF/keto/carnivore are often associated with increased "cholesterol" so I thought I'd share my recent experience.

After my annual diabetic check-up (Aug 2020), I got a call from my GP who was very alarmed that my serum cholesterol had shot up to 8.12, with LDL at 5.89. As my HDL had risen too (1.84), making the ratio under 4.4 (5 and below is normal), and my trigs were down (0.85), I wasn't worried, but they insisted on referring me to a lipid clinic. I've been refusing statins every year since starting a LC diet, but my cholesterol had never been so high. I thought that was due to either my carnivore experimenting, some falling of the wagon, or just the general stress of 2020 (or even an active immune system!).

At the lipid clinic they referred me to a Cardiac Coronary artery Calcium scoring, and an ultrasound of my carotid arteries. The procedures showed zero coronary calcium score and no thickening in the arteries. My follow-up appointment is not until the end of May, but I can't see how they would prescribe me statins with such healthy imaging results.

BTW, my understanding of lipid particles in the blood is that they have many roles, one of them is "patching up" injuries in the blood vessel walls. I'm not sure how those injuries happen, but high circulating insulin is probably a factor... Please share your thoughts!