High GAD level on diagniosis

Lynn D

I have, earlier this month, been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I am very concerned about my GAD levels. My level was 2000 on the blood tests which I had which diagnosed my diabetes, which I understand is very high. Is this normal, or should I be concerned that I might also have something more sinister (i.e. SPS - Stiff Person Syndrome)? I have no particular symptoms of SPS but have read on the Internet that a high GAD level is indicative of this syndrome. I have not got an appointment re. the diabetes until February and don't want to have to wait until then to find out whether I have more to worry about than just the Type 1. I would be grateful for any information.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Lynn D and welcome to the forums.

Never heard of SPS before and having just looked it up it seems pretty rare.

Did the 2000 number come with any units? I ask because 2000 IU/ml is normally the top level of the 'assay range' for the test so it may not mean that this is your level. I didn't even get a number, I was just told that I was 'strongly positive'.

Please call your GP or the surgery's diabetes nurse if you are worried as we shouldn't really be providing medical opinions on these forums.

Reactions: EllieM

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't find the email for the exact figure but my GAD result was high and I'm 'just' type 1.

Very frustrating you have to wait until Feb but for now I wouldn't worry about anything but the T1 and concentrate on managing that.