High Gi with high fat meal

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just after a bit of advice …… I am a type 1 on MDI.

I have been reading 'think like a pancreas' - amazing!!!

I am trying to balance my GI portions with when I do my bolus …… but I think I have now confused myself with the slowing digestion from high fat content!!!

I just had a cheese and ham panini and chip - not a usual thing for me and don't usually have as many carbs in 1 go anymore - my sugars were slightly over target before lunch so I was going to give my injection 30 mins before for the high GI panini and high/mod chips but the fat content of the cheese and ham confused me - would it slow down the peak from the high GI bread/chips?!?!? I decided to give my injection 15 mins before instead - is that right?!?! Obviously will check post meal bg. Does the fat content slow the spike from high GI foods?!? x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only way of knowing is by trial & error, make a note of your postprandial bg levels and how much insulin you have used for this meal and use it as a reference for next time, on MDI I would always have to bolus twice for such meals due to the combination of high-carb/high-fat.

Great book btw :)

Reactions: 4 people

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @noblehead - good to know it will be a bit of trial and error!

I think this may be the best book I have ever read - wish I had read it many years ago :) got the idea of reading it from this lovely forum :) x

Reactions: 2 people