High HBA1C- Help

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:oops: :cry:

A week or so ago, I went to have my HBA1C done. It had gone up from 8.3 mmol/L to 10.3 mmol/L. I wanted to cry when I found out- but it was my own stupid fault I suppose. We rearranged my basel rates on my pump, and my consultant said for me to come back in a months time to check my HBA1C again

Could anyone give advice on getting my BG tests down? I would be really grateful!

P.S I tend to do 6-8 BG tests a day

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Uh oh!

So you've had a bad few months. Try to think back, what did you do differently? Did you snack more? Did you snack on the wrong things without insulin? Did you become a little lazy on your carb counting?

The best thing you can do with this is learn from it to make sure it goes down next time :)

Mrspuddle

Hello!
I had similar results 3 weeks ago and even came off my pump as was looking for something to blame (back on pump now) looking over it I have been lazy with tweaking basals etc but the biggest resin I have found is lazy carb counting!! Bought a new carb counting book for my handbag and downloaded an app for my phone. It has already made a difference but I now need to do fasting tests to check basals!! :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bevg

3 months ago my hba1c was 81. last week I had my bloods done and it's come back at 85. I am booked in with the nurse next week as my blood pressure is a little high. I do have quite a few other health issues to contend with. I eat properly so I am at a loss as what to do

Lloyd49

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My partners hb levels are 11 he is on the pump and they are looking at taking it away so frustrating as has improved his everyday blood levels amazingly.
Really concerned as he has given up drinking alcohol totally I'm wondering does diet have a huge part as in biscuits and sweet things?
He regularly tries to convince me he can eat anything as long as he counts carbs but surely a sweet tooth I would think is not good??
Please advise me what we can do
Thku

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You can eat most things as long as you correctly count the carbs and the carb to insulin ratio is correct, biscuits, bread and potatoes, cakes and sweet things are high in carbs, his insulin to carb ratio could need adjustments but to eat too much will put weight on.

Lloyd49

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Phil
Thanks for getting back to me.
He's very good at carb counting I think he's had a unlucky start to year we are at mo fighting a chest infection. Having some tests done as he seems to be losing weight.
Diabetic team often go on about his basal rate and adjust it when problems arise, maybe it's just a tricky case. His sister also has diabetes which is brittle type not many people have heard of it.
We see the nurse on Tuesday for another HB reading so fingers crossed.

Many thanks