High HBA1C

Wmellett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes, negative people, bad weather
Hi I’ve just received the results of my HBA1C test and it’s gone very high to 74 it’s usually been in the 50s which I was told was too high!
I’m losing weight, exercise and take metformin 2x1000 which is max they said and trajenta I’ve been feeling so tired and sluggish for a while
Now and had a couple of infections so my immunity is low
What other meds are there I could ask to try?
Thanks

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve just received the results of my HBA1C test and it’s gone very high to 74 it’s usually been in the 50s which I was told was too high!
I’m losing weight, exercise and take metformin 2x1000 which is max they said and trajenta I’ve been feeling so tired and sluggish for a while
Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forums. I have absolutely no experience with diabetes meds so nothing to share with you, but I'm sure others on the forum will have useful information.

I started off with A1c at 50 and dealt with it through diet. Has anyone talked to you about that?

Reactions: Wmellett

Wmellett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forums. I have absolutely no experience with diabetes meds so nothing to share with you, but I'm sure others on the forum will have useful information.

I started off with A1c at 50 and dealt with it through diet. Has anyone talked to you about that?

Wmellett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. I did reverse my diabetes a few years ago by eating a good diet and exercise and felt really good but over the last couple of years I’ve found it really difficult - I’ve been on the xpert course and got my books back out to read through.
I’m just getting back into going to the gym and I’m a competitive swimmer so trying to boost my fitness with the right nutrition is vital to me . I was just worried about how high my numbers were!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years ago, the dietary advice was wholemeal carbs and lots of fruit.
Now lots of us find, by using a blood glucose meter, that those raise our bg way too high.
Have you tried a very low carb diet and see what that does?

Also, is the current weight loss planned? If it was sudden and your bg is going up you might want to check it isn't Type 1 rearing it's head

Reactions: Gannet

Wmellett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A few years ago, the dietary advice was wholemeal carbs and lots of fruit.
Now lots of us find, by using a blood glucose meter, that those raise our bg way too high.
Have you tried a very low carb diet and see what that does?

Also, is the current weight loss planned? If it was sudden and your bg is going up you might want to check it isn't Type 1 rearing it's head
Thanks - I lost weight pre covid by following a very low carb diet and exercise I think I will go back to this and hopefully this will help! Thank you
I have mentioned the weight loss - not huge amounts but still a loss - I will continue to check blood sugars and hopefully they will start to come down

Wmellett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Me too, just without the exercise but I did go very low carb
Me too, just without the exercise but I did go very low carb indeed.
I did a very low carb diet and was ok with exercising so worth it trying again and being careful with the sugars in food and fruit - back to basics