High Insulin Amounts

GMottershead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am awaiting a call from my local diabetes team. But I am very concerned I am injecting a lot of background and rapid insulin to keep my levels right. Can anyone advise what is too much?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is the high amounts unusual for you? In times of stress and illness our insulin requirements can go up.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am awaiting a call from my local diabetes team. But I am very concerned I am injecting a lot of background and rapid insulin to keep my levels right. Can anyone advise what is too much?

Not really. We all require different amounts and it's related to the amount of food you eat and your exercise levels.

Reactions: 2 people

GMottershead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My background is 64 at night and 64 in the morning, and my rapid averages at 30 per meal. I just thought this was high?

alaska

It is on the high side.

It may be possible to reduce the amount of insulin you need to take through dietary improvement and exercise.

A problem with high insulin doses is that it exacerbates the problem of insulin resistance. Ideally, one should lower the amount of insulin circulating in the body as this will help to reduce insulin resistance.

Carbohydrate stimulates more insulin than either protein or fat, so it makes sense to reduce daily carbohydrate intake to lower the need for insulin, lower blood glucose levels and furthermore reduce the effect of insulin resistance.

A (much) more thorough explanation of this can be found here:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/insulin-causes-insulin-resistance-hormonal-obesity-x/

The author, of the article linked to, is nephrologist Dr Jason Fung.

Ed

Reactions: 4 people