High Ketones

Vidar

Hi Guys, been a good long while but need some advice.

Basically thought I had a UTI and was treating it as such with lots of cranberry juice etc. Essentially caused my Type 2 to flare up (I was in remission) and go symptomatic which I've never experienced before. Needed fluids, I think an insulin drip too but not sure as my mind went all foggy and loads of tests. Basically told I need to go back on meds for a while. I'll feel like **** for a few days but should be okay. Also need to test blood sugars and ketones for a few days and go back if they spike again.

I've finally managed to get ketone strips for my monitor and tested again at 1.5 Today. GP told me to go to hospital at that level (but they hit 2.1) the other day and the hospital sent me home with Metformin.

I don't feel well but not as bad as the other day and am taking my meds but am worried. I'm also back on Carnivore but not sure if that's helping or hurting me at this point.

Can anyone advise me please?

Reactions: DEL169

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also back on Carnivore
So you're on a keto diet, which is supposed to make you produce ketones.

For people who are not on a keto diet, ketones are tested when BG is very high, because ketones can be an early indication you are developing ketoacidosis (not to be confused with ketosis).
When you're on a carnivore diet, testing for ketones won't tell you anything about possibly developing ketoacidosis because you're producing ketones anyway.
Did your doctor know you're eating keto when he told you to test for ketones?

How are your blood sugars?

• Winner
Reactions: filly

Vidar

So you're on a keto diet, which is supposed to make you produce ketones.

For people who are not on a keto diet, ketones are tested when BG is very high, because ketones can be an early indication you are developing ketoacidosis (not to be confused with ketosis).
When you're on a carnivore diet, testing for ketones won't tell you anything about possibly developing ketoacidosis because you're producing ketones anyway.
Did your doctor know you're eating keto when he told you to test for ketones?

How are your blood sugars?

I wasn't on keto or carnivore until Tuesday, I'd fallen off the wagon again the past few months.

I'm back on it now as that's how I've put myself into remission before. Should I be eating some carbs to combat the ketones?

Waiting until Tuesday to see what my a1c is but as of today my blood sugar was 9.4 before eating my steak. And my ketones where 1.5

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't on keto or carnivore until Tuesday,
So you've been eating practically zero carbs for 4 days, which means ketones are to be expected.
Should I be eating some carbs to combat the ketones?
If you want to be able to use ketone testing to know if you may be in trouble, yes.
If you want to keep your blood sugars as low as possible, no.
I can't advise you on what you should do. It's against forum rules, and to be honest, I'm not sure what I would do in your situation myself.

Do you know if you were in DKA at the hospital?

Vidar

So you've been eating practically zero carbs for 4 days, which means ketones are to be expected.

If you want to be able to use ketone testing to know if you may be in trouble, yes.
If you want to keep your blood sugars as low as possible, no.
I can't advise you on what you should do. It's against forum rules, and to be honest, I'm not sure what I would do in your situation myself.

Do you know if you were in DKA at the hospital?

I wasn't DKA which is why they sent me home same day. I really don't know what to do for the best.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77