High Keytone

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jayleee , Novomix 30 , level 8 on the pen twice a day, ( is that a lot?) , I don't blame them for prescribing insulin, I'm sure my bgl was very high , but it does seem like overkill now , and in fact consultant on acidosis occasion intimated as much . ( my keto has dropped to 1.3 now at 7.15 pm and feel ok , it wasn't much higher than the 2.8 earlier today when I was in hospital , 4 .2 or so , but felt pretty rough when I left hospital with a keto of 2.1 which is probably why I panicked a bit earlier, (ketoacidosis isn't pleasant)
But yes it does seem if blood glucose levels low seems some keytones ok .

Hi,

The dosage you were advised is what it was. They may have felt it was a starting point?

Are you testing regularly? Morning on waking, before meals, 2 hours later & before bed, to pick up a profile on your current BGs..?

Henry7

Hi,

The dosage you were advised is what it was. They may have felt it was a starting point?

Are you testing regularly? Morning on waking, before meals, 2 hours later & before bed, to pick up a profile on your current BGs..?

Yes of course , they didn't have a lot to go on , just my bgl at the time . I never took the insulin prescribed , I know it sounds like madness now , I wasn't really capable of doing anything for a couple of days after diagnosis , it came as a real shock , after about a week and my 5th reading ( I left hospital with 7 strips ) I got 4.9 down from 13.9 (my first reading at home) . At this point I just carried on losing weight readings averaging maybe 6 , though not eating much. Now on metformin 3*500 probably averaging 5.5 these days 5 ( a bit less last few days) fasting ,maybe 6-6.5 after small meal ( all I ever have these days ),3.6 this morning, not sure why , pork chop and cauliflower yesterday evening. Probably why I had high keytones as well this morning.

Last edited: