High levels, not sure

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Personally I think the advice not to test after meals is very wrong especially for a child !

By testing two hours after a meal you can see what the food in that meal has done to her blood sugars and maybe you can then modify that meal, portion wise, so that the next time she eats it her levels will not rise too much.

I hope some of our experienced mums and Type 1's can give you some more advice.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told the same thing about my daughter's readings. I'm not sure if this is to be expected in the early days whilst the honeymoon period wears off and a routine is built, but certainly longer term I don't feel those readings are right or good in any way. The focus seemed to be very much on what the reading has returned to by the next meal and what the HbA1c result was. On a few occasions I raised my concern for having high readings up to 2.5 hours after eating and was told not to worry about it and we'll just accept that the readings take a little longer than the 2 hour window to return to normal. The fact our HbA1c was acceptable (within 7.5 and 8 ) seemed to be what they were interested in. I feel the only reason we got that sort of HbA1c result is because of large swings between lows and highs. I even have printed on our school care plan, provided by our care team, that a high reading within 2 hours of eating is nothing to worry about. I didn't feel comfortable about this and after taking a second opinion (for other reasons as well as these swings) we have moved onto a pump and now readings seldomly go above 10 mmol/L even if we test within a hour of eating. Never again will I believe that those sort of readings are acceptable. I'm not saying your daughter must go on a pump, and as it's early days for her those sort of readings might be unavoidable, but I guess the message I'm getting accross to you is that if you feel something is not right don't be afraid to pursue it. If it means a second, or even third opinion to make sure then don't be afraid to ask for it.

annettekp

Hi

The first 6 weeks after diagnosis my son had continually high readings as we fiddled about trying to get the insulin levels right for him. In that 6 weeks he was rarely in single figures.

For the first 6 months we were told not to give correction injections if he had a high reading 2 hours after a meal. Quite honestly I think this was to avoid giving him more injections but also to give us a chance to see what certain foods did to him. He's on Levemir and Novorapid which means 5 injections per day.

Its very hard in not to worry about high levels and I think the professionals feel at the start we have enough to worry about getting our heads round diabetes. Do speak to you diabetes team aobut your concerns. That is what they are there for.

But also don't expect to get the routine 'right' all the time. You will need to tweak things to keep them on track. Its now 3 weeks since my son had a stomach bug and we're still not back to what I consider to be 'normal' readings. And he will keep having growth spurts which upset his levels too!

Annette