Type 2 High Morning BS Levels

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonder if anyone in the community can help/advise me with this issue. I'm currently taking 2 x 500mg of Metformin and 1 x 100mg of Sitagliptin in the morning with a follow up of 2 x 500mg of Metformin in the late afternoon. I've managed to get my blood sugars down from double figures over the past few months to around 5 - 7/8 through low carb intake. What I have found is that my blood sugars are not quite what I would expect when waking. For example: This morning my first reading when I took my medication was 7.8. 90 minutes later, I tested again just before having my breakfast and it had risen to 7.9 !!!! this is not the first time this has happened and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else ?

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Suzieblue well done in getting your blood sugars down over the past few months. A rise of 0.1 is nothing to be conserned about. Keep up the good work.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Suzie
Put Dawn Phenomenon in the search box at the top of the page. That's probably what causes your morning spike. It eventually sorts itself out.. took my body about 6 months so don't give up!

Reactions: 3 people

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Suzie
Put Dawn Phenomenon in the search box at the top of the page. That's probably what causes your morning spike. It eventually sorts itself out.. took my body about 6 months so don't give up!
Many thanks for your reply Bulkbiker, I wasn't aware of the "Dawn Phenomenon" and the liver dumping so that explains a lot of my high morning readings in the past.