High numbers

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suffer from depression and the last couple of months have been difficult.
I've ignored my diet & diabetes and not checked my numbers.
I'm now trying to get them back under control, my fasting numbers this morning were 15.9 but 2 hours later my numbers had rose to 19.5 without eating or drinking anything apart from some water, is this normal when your numbers aren't under control?
Tia

M

Member496333

Seems like you’re either extremely insulin resistant, or insulin deficient. Or both.

If you’re unable to get a grip on things quite quickly through diet, then you should immediately seek help from your doctor. Those are dangerous blood glucose concentrations and you may even be at risk of ketoacidosis.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The big fasting number and the subsequent bigger rise 2 hours later indicates severe insulin resistance. The continued rise without eating anything was most likely caused by the dawn phenomenon whereby the liver releases glucose into the system (a normal, natural event) but due to resistance your insulin is unable to clear it into the cells. The problem then arises when you do next eat as your levels are already high, so will be even higher after your meal. And so on.

As @Jim Lahey says, those numbers are approaching far too high and if you are not able to bring them right down soon you need to speak to your doctor.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I was trying to control my T2 with diet, not so much with exercise, I'm very lazy. Around Christmas, I went back to my GP when my BG was 19.0, and I was put on Metformin. It does help to lower your BG levels. It's even curbed my appetite. I now get regular readings between 5 and 7 - where I want to be. If I knew about the effects of Metformin, I probably would've started on it sooner. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Jayderb

My numbers were as high as yours on my initial diagnosis and due to this I was kept overnight as the risk of Diabetic Keto Acidosis is very high with those levels of BG readings. I was subsequently hooked up to IV insuling and IV fluids and monitored every hour. I was discharged 18 hours later with a prescription of lantus and strict instructions to return to A&E if my numbers hit 17mmol and above.

As Jim mentioned, I found out later through tests carried out during my admission that I was insulin deficient and my initial diagnosis was type one. I had gone through a period of extreme stress and stress eating. Further tests later showed that I was producing insulin so your case might be similar.

Please seek medical attention, you might not need to go to A&E but it's worth talking to someone and maybe having further tests beyond what the home monitor can provide

Ann58

I had an ear infection last week, I'm in Gran Canaria and they put me on antibiotics then off them into steroids. My readings are jumping 16.9 11 7 for no reasons and 13.9 the doctor said not to worry it's expected in the steroids. Expect infection in middle wR to have cleared Friday so be going home. I am in netformin twice day doc here said put up to three.
Concerned as really don't understand why jumping no apparent reason. Any thoughts please?

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steroids will raise your blood glucose levels. I experienced this with steroid shots in the joints of my feet. Two shots simultaneously caused a significant raise in BGL for several days, however one subsequent shot only resulted in a small spike for about 24 hours

Ann58

Thankyou shall I just wait to see Doctor until I come off the tabs had 2x3 days, one half 3 days, on 1 x 3 days then go down half x 3 days.

WitchettyGrub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry to hear about your depression. It can be tough, can't it. I used to have depression, so understand how hard it can be sometimes. You've already had some good advice above. Try going low carb to get your #s down quickly (cauliflower is great!), and be prepared to go to your doctor swiftly if no change. Be prepared to go on metformin if your #s stay really high, but aim to see it at as a short term thing that you can go off hopefully through low carb management. Wishing you well.