High reading first thing in the morning

det75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Can anyone offer advice please, I was diagnosed a week before Christmas with type 2 and a HaC1 was 91. Since then I have lost a stone in weight and have got my blood glucose testing between 6 and 8 in the day evening when I started I was always above 12.
My question is when I test in the morning I am always high so for example I was 7.2 last night but have gone up to 11 this morning does anyone have any advice or will this decrease over time?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Give the forum a search on title only 'morning bg'. You may be surprised how many ask this question.
Its most likely the 'dawn phenomenon' (search that too).

I personally do liver blocks as even low carb diet didn't resolve my 2-3mmol/l increase through the night or/and if i didn't eat straight on rising out of bed.
Loads of posts out there even as we speak about how even a LADA member takes a piece of butter before bed or/and on rising to prevent that inconvenient and unnecessary natural rise. None diabetics get it too but then insulin kicks in to process it. Where as we diabetics have to do it manually.
A great confidence booster when you find the right 'food' to lock your liver dump. Unfortunately it has to be done everyday to see a huge improvement in hba1c but excellent with low carb eating for the fatty liver to improve too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is possible to go to bed on a 6 and awake with a 6. Insulin takers should be aware of a possible hypo if not reducing insulin units to accommodate. Insulin takers can get rebound too, so monitor more if on insulin therapy.

FYI
"Dawn phenomenon. The dawn phenomenon, sometimes called the dawn effect, is an early-morning (usually between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m.) increase in blood sugar (glucose) relevant to people with diabetes. It is different from chronic Somogyi rebound in that dawn phenomenon is not associated with nocturnal hypoglycemia."

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find Dr Jason Fung's blog post to be a helpful read for T2D struggling with dawn phenomenon.
https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Think about it this way. The Dawn Phenomenon is simply moving sugar from body stores (liver) into the blood. That’s it. If your body stores are filled to bursting, then you will expel as much of that sugar as possible. By itself it is neither good nor bad. It is simply a marker that your body has too much sugar. Solution? Simple. Either don’t put any sugar in (LCHF) or burn it off (Fasting). Even better? LCHF + IF.

Whenever my fasting glucose level goes over 6 mmol, I will just need to have lighter dinner or skip dinner for a couple of nights to bring it close to 5.0-5.5 mmol. A range that I am comfortable with.

Reactions: det75

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Can anyone offer advice please, I was diagnosed a week before Christmas with type 2 and a HaC1 was 91. Since then I have lost a stone in weight and have got my blood glucose testing between 6 and 8 in the day evening when I started I was always above 12.
My question is when I test in the morning I am always high so for example I was 7.2 last night but have gone up to 11 this morning does anyone have any advice or will this decrease over time?

In normal healthy people the liver will dump glucose in the blood stream from its own stores whenever it detects glucose is low or a little extra is needed. The pancreas then leaps into action and secretes some insulin to balance this out and keep glucose levels stable, at the same time telling the liver to stop dumping. This is all regulated by certain hormones. It saves our lives, because otherwise in times of fasting and between meals (and exercise in some cases) our glucose levels would be insufficient to feed our brains and red blood cells, and we would die.

This system breaks down when we are diabetic and have insulin resistance. The liver dumps its stored glucose but due to insulin resistance the insulin can't do its job properly, the liver keeps dumping and the glucose stays in the blood stream until enough insulin has been produced to clear it, which can take ages.

The system also breaks down if our pancreas is a bit worn out and doesn't produce enough insulin.

Basically, for those with insulin resistance the only real way to prevent it happening at significant levels is to reduce the amount of IR. If you discover that the liver continues to dump throughout the morning with little sign of the pancreas helping out, some people find it is a good idea to eat something very fatty as soon as they get up - plenty of fat, no carbs, such as a coffee with double cream or a couple of boiled eggs, and definitely no carbohydrate at breakfast.

Reactions: Speedbird and det75

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My fbg have been higher since after Xmas. As over Xmas I needed extra insulin. I reduced my basal insulin to get a new (hopefully) lower unit need. To be honest I need to just take it back to 72units of toujeo300 and risk the hypos as I woke at 04.20 on a 10.2. Mind u a stressful day yesterday. I'll see if a one off. If constant then from 69 to 72 it will have to be. :(
I'm finding the more stability I need the higher the basal insulin needed. Stability of good bgs is the only place I lose weight. Stability of metformin too.

Stable good daily bgs have been noted on the forum as helping bring down fbgs. I've never felt that connection myself. Many have thou.

So a fatty protein to feed the liver to prevent fasting or just fat and stability of daily bgs is suppose to reflect on fbgs.
Give them a try?