High readings not coming down

elmer_dinkley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am having real problems maintaining low levels. my numbers have been in the high teens for a week. I am run down with a bit of a cold, it may make a difference as nothing much has changed. I have been averaging 8 and suddenly its gone up to 17. I increased my metaformin despite the stomach upset it gives me and nothing has changed. Food has been pretty much the same as well. advice would be helpful as I am becoming down about the whole thing

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I increased my metaformin despite the stomach upset it gives me and nothing has changed. Food has been pretty much the same as well. advice would be helpful as I am becoming down about the whole thing

You may not notice a change immediately and then maybe not much at all. It works by lowering the amount of sugar produced in the liver, and also increasing the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin. Unlike something like Gliclazide which works by increasing the amount of insulin that your body makes.

It could be that your body needs more insulin or less carbohydrate requiring insulin. Do you still eat bread/rice/past/potato, what I call the obvious carbs?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having real problems maintaining low levels. my numbers have been in the high teens for a week. I am run down with a bit of a cold, it may make a difference as nothing much has changed. I have been averaging 8 and suddenly its gone up to 17. I increased my metaformin despite the stomach upset it gives me and nothing has changed. Food has been pretty much the same as well. advice would be helpful as I am becoming down about the whole thing

what do you actually eat then ?

Reactions: ziggy_w

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably due to illness. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Do you have a sick day plan with your gp/endo/diabetes nurse? If not, now is a good time to consider making one. If so, follow their instructions for medication changes etc.