High readings

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am T2 and have things under fairly good control. However my dad, also T2, doesn't. He has been T2 for over 35 years and has been on insulin for nearly all that time.

He recently told me that his readings are often 'quite high'. When I questioned him he said that they were often in the high 20s. He said his DSN was aware and didn't have any issues with it. My mum then chipped in to say that the DSN advised him that he should try to keep his readings between 6 and 16. Is this likely? It sounds as though the upper limit is far too high.

My dad doesn't eat healthily and (in my opinion) has too many carbs in his diet but at almost 80 I'm not sure that will change.

I guess I'm wondering if the nurse really did say it was ok for him to have bs readings of up to 16. I know in some ways it's none of my business but I worry about his overall health - he finds walking difficult, he keeps having skin breakdown and is worried about hus eyes deteriorating so that he won't be allowed to drive. So there is some incentive to get his bs under control.

Thoughts? Thanks

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might get a better idea of his glucose control from his HbA1c.

But I would not be surprise at all if the nurse recommend a range of 6-16 mmols. They fear hypoglycemia more than anything else for the elderly. Especially as they may get forgetful and double dose etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As he is on insulin he should not be seeing too many figures in the 20's. Perhaps all he needs is better control over his insulin injections. Is he on mixed insulin or a slow acting basal plus a fast acting pre-meal/correction insulin? Either way, is he injecting according to his food consumption or injecting the same dose no matter what he eats?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally I would say if he's 80 leave him alone and let him run higher (like my Mum whose quality of life would have been greatly reduced by getting her levels down to 6 as she was inactive and had dementia !) but he sounds active and is obviously still driving etc. The 20's are far too high and no doubt this will be contributing greatly to his skin breakdown and eyesight along with any added issues old age might bring. I have no doubt the nurse said exactly this as they said it to my Mum. Id there a reason for it being so high when he at least can balance it better with insulin if he refuses to give up the grub he likes?

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. As far as I know he adjusts his insulin to cover his carbs. He's 78, still driving (I don't think he should be but that's another story) and socially active. But lots of bouts of illheath, permanently tired, dreadful foot ulcers etc.

I'm really surprised that DSN are ok with readings of up to 16 but it sounds as though that's ok for older people with insulin .

I'll ask him about his HBA1C result. He gets very tetchy if people try to tell him.what he shhould/shouldn't be eating. Part of me thinks he should just eat what he wants at his age but he hates the consequences. A bit like a smoker complaint in about being breathless!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. As far as I know he adjusts his insulin to cover his carbs. He's 78, still driving (I don't think he should be but that's another story) and socially active. But lots of bouts of illheath, permanently tired, dreadful foot ulcers etc.

I'm really surprised that DSN are ok with readings of up to 16 but it sounds as though that's ok for older people with insulin .

I'll ask him about his HBA1C result. He gets very tetchy if people try to tell him.what he shhould/shouldn't be eating. Part of me thinks he should just eat what he wants at his age but he hates the consequences. A bit like a smoker complaint in about being breathless!!

It shouldn"t matter what he eats providing he injects the correct amount of insulin, particularly at his age. Rather than upset him about his food choices, try and find out what his actual insulin regime is. I suspect incorrect insulin is the reason he has such high numbers and diabetes related health issues.