high sugar levels even on lchf.

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been on a lchf diet for a while without any medication but my sugars are just not going down at all. i train 3 times per week & the sweet drips of me. i have also lost about 6 stone in weight but it just hasn't helped my diabetes.

i can not take any pill for or powder form diabeteic medication as it makes me so ill. i have only one option which is insulin & i don't want to take it but it looks like i will have to as my blood sugars arn't going down with diet alone. i don't want to take it but i am losing the feellings in my left leg. it has gone numb & i have problems with feeling things.

i really don't want to use it but i have no other option at this time. i have tried everything out there every diet for diabetes. i have been advised to do a low carb vegan diet by a few people but i dont know how i would stick to it & if it would really work.

i am at a total loss with all this diabetes stuff. i know its killing me. my sugars are still spiking big time after food. looks like the insulin is going to have to start again. i am b12 defecient & also it looks like i am getting an underactive thyroid all because of the diabetes.

what else can i do ??

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What are your levels? Well done for losing so much weight though How long have you been low carbing?
Give us an idea what you are eating.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
take your Dr's advice, insulin sounds the way to go if none of the oral meds are suitable for now.
You won't be an orphan, half of T2 diabetics finish up on insulin within 5-10 years of diagnosis

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your bg is high on LCHF and you also suffer from PA and hypothyroidism, two autoimmune conditions, I think you should get GAD and islet antibodies checked as there is a risk your diabetes is autoimmune too. If so insulin is a sensible solution.

Reactions: 2 people

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your levels? Well done for losing so much weight though How long have you been low carbing?
Give us an idea what you are eating.
My levels are 250. I habe been low cqrbing for the last 3 weeks I have done it on and off for about 10 years.
I am eating meat, eggs, low carb veg and salad and fats butter.olive oil.

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
take your Dr's advice, insulin sounds the way to go if none of the oral meds are suitable for now.
You won't be an orphan, half of T2 diabetics finish up on insulin within 5-10 years of diagnosis

I have been type 2 diabetic for about 6 years

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If your bg is high on LCHF and you also suffer from PA and hypothyroidism, two autoimmune conditions, I think you should get GAD and islet antibodies checked as there is a risk your diabetes is autoimmune too. If so insulin is a sensible solution.

I have been thinking it for a while but doctor says no.my farther and my moms mother both have autoimmune problems.
Would love the blood test but I will have to ask doctor again

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been thinking it for a while but doctor says no.my farther and my moms mother both have autoimmune problems.
Would love the blood test but I will have to ask doctor again
You wouldn't be the first to be wrongly diagnosed with type 2. Insist on the antibodies test. Your Dr should know about autoimmunity coming in twos and and threes.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
whatever it is, go to the Dr tomorrow and get the insulin he would have already advised. Whether you are T2 or heading for T1, the treatment is the same if oral meds are off the table and diet isn't managing it. you can always stop the insulin if things change

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Jack. Whether you have an autoimmune process going on or not, (average?) levels of 250mg/d; (13.3mmol/l) are not good . You also say there are signs of what could be neuropathy.
Insulin is a hormone that your body should produce enough of, if , some of your weight loss may be attributable to insufficient insulin .
If you aren't releasing enough insulin for your needs and you can't take drugs to stimulate its release then you need to replace it.
What worries you about insulin?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should really test for Ketones, you can get ketostrips from the chemist/drug store for a few dollars. if you are feeling nauseous get yourself to A&E and let them run some tests, google DKA

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It does sound as though you are not a typical T2, like the others said go back and see GP, make them take it seriously - its your health. A quick weight loss sounds worrying. Don't sit and take it because your GP is concerned about money.

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
whatever it is, go to the Dr tomorrow and get the insulin he would have already advised. Whether you are T2 or heading for T1, the treatment is the same if oral meds are off the table and diet isn't managing it. you can always stop the insulin if things change

I have got the insuline and hage started today

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I w
It does sound as though you are not a typical T2, like the others said go back and see GP, make them take it seriously - its your health. A quick weight loss sounds worrying. Don't sit and take it because your GP is concerned about money.

I will make an appointment

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have got the insuline and hage started today
good move for now, it will give you breathing room without worrying about high sugar. From what I have read here, you may be on a fixed dose and eat to the insulin. so I would start a topic asking for assistance with the insulin and carbs. it may be best to try and eat the same amount of carbs every day to match the insulin, but the clever guys will help you