High sugar levels

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
The past few days I can't seem to get my sugar levels down they range from 10 to 12 I'm type 2 on metformin twice a day. This week has been has been stressful as my mother in law died last Saturday so my eating habits have been all aray but not really eaten much that I shouldn't have, if anything not eaten enough food, been feeling light headed.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Stress always puts my sugar levels up and it sounds like you have every reason to have been stressed. As I understand it stress causes release of coritsol ( steroids) in the body. These hormones oppose insulin, making insulin less effective. hence blood sugars will tend to rise in diabetics. I test to make sure my BSLs stay less than 14 ( easier then you probably because I can adjust my insulin). You could discuss your results with your doctor and see what he advises. I know for me exercise is a good stress reliever and lowerer of blood sugars. My condolences and I hope that you and your wife can grieve quietly and well.

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
Thank you I feel more positive already that can lower it myself through exercise my job is physical so hopefully that will help to x

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @snookie09 sending my condolences during this stressful time....I agree with @kitedoc regarding stress and hormones....perhaps in a week or two you will see your levels coming down. Do make sure that you are eating enough because your body is going to react - you may be experiencing liver dumps of glucose to keep you going...don't know if you are a low carber or what kind of diet you follow....also see if exercise helps to lower or not - I for one find exercise raises my sugars - but you will know soon enough.....be gentle with yourself right now....Blessings to you and your family/L