High sugars

Hello, has anyone got any kind of advice for me? Ive been diabetic since 2004 but have never found my clinic overly helpful. Im now pregnant 7 weeks 1 day. I didnt do the preconception thing as I got pregnant very quickly. I saw a diabetes doctor at the maternity clinic and he wasn't overly helpful either. Ive been on the pump since 2016 and have had some success with it but not perfect. Id been using a ratio of 1 unit of insulin (novarapid) to 10g of carbs since forever but was told to double that. So I have been doing 5 units of insulin but sometimes my sugar level is still too high an hour after eating but then because I've got so much insulin on board I then hypo later on. I now feel like I need to avoid many carbs where possible. Ive given up cereal for Greek yoghurt and blueberries and raspberries. I dont eat white bread or pasta or rice etc much at all anyway. But my struggle is what to do in place of potatoes. Also im on the libre now and my sugar levels with that are entirely to what my pump measures them at. Like my pump finger prick machine read me at 10.6 but the libre was at over 18 so correcting sugar levels is very hard due to that. Any advice please.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few ideas
- have you done a basal test to check your basal requirements are correct?
- sounds as if you bolus is taking a long time to work. Do you pre-bolus before meals?
- have you asked about changing from NovoSluggish to Fiasp which works faster?
- have you read about the limitations of Libre? For example, it is less accurate for the first 24 to 48 hours (many people insert it a day or two before starting it), it is less accurate high or low readings so, whilst it is ok for bolusing for meals, it is not great to use to calculate corrections, ...
- replacement options for potatoes are other vegetables. Some people eat roasted celeraic or swede or squash. Or just eat more of the non-carbs on your plate instead of potatoes.

Reactions: MichelleLouise