Type 1 High sugars

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
Why is it when I wake up my reading is fine I then have a healthy breakfast weetabix and blueberries I take the required amount of insulin then my libre sensor alarm goes off and my readings are high half hour after taking my insulin

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Why is it when I wake up my reading is fine I then have a healthy breakfast weetabix and blueberries I take the required amount of insulin then my libre sensor alarm goes off and my readings are high half hour after taking my insulin

I imagine it's to do with timing. I don't know which insulin you're using but older style rapid actings take about 2 hrs to reach peak performance and the activity increase will be gradual. If you eat something like Weatabix, it will start raising your blood glucose within about 15 to 20 minutes of eating and the 'spike' will be sharp.

Which insulin are you using and how long before eating do you inject?
upload_2021-11-17_9-14-33.png

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
What is the high reading?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Job76 I wonder if the high blood sugars after breakfast could be related to dawn Phenomenon/Foot on the Floor where our liers helpfully dump a load of glucose into our blood to give us energy to start the day.
Due to this, some of find we are more insulin resistant first thing so need to pre-bolus earlier and may need a different insulin to carb ratio.
It is easy to tell if your need to adjust your timing (pre-bolus earlier): if your levels spike and then come down without any additional insulin, it is likely that you just need to inject earlier relative to your breakfast.
If your levels go up and stay there, you are likely to need more insulin.

The other thing to consider is when you take your basal insulin. If you take your basal in the morning, it could be that it is running out before 24 hours. I found Lantus lasts for 22 hours for me.

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
I imagine it's to do with timing. I don't know which insulin you're using but older style rapid actings take about 2 hrs to reach peak performance and the activity increase will be gradual. If you eat something like Weatabix, it will start raising your blood glucose within about 15 to 20 minutes of eating and the 'spike' will be sharp.

Which insulin are you using and how long before eating do you inject?
View attachment 52104

I use novo rapid insulin,,and eat basically straight after injection

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
@Job76 I wonder if the high blood sugars after breakfast could be related to dawn Phenomenon/Foot on the Floor where our liers helpfully dump a load of glucose into our blood to give us energy to start the day.
Due to this, some of find we are more insulin resistant first thing so need to pre-bolus earlier and may need a different insulin to carb ratio.
It is easy to tell if your need to adjust your timing (pre-bolus earlier): if your levels spike and then come down without any additional insulin, it is likely that you just need to inject earlier relative to your breakfast.
If your levels go up and stay there, you are likely to need more insulin.

The other thing to consider is when you take your basal insulin. If you take your basal in the morning, it could be that it is running out before 24 hours. I found Lantus lasts for 22 hours for me.

It did come down without insulin I will try it before but how long before should I take my novo rapid insulin Thankyou

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It did come down without insulin I will try it before but how long before should I take my novo rapid insulin Thankyou
Unfortunately, it is trial and error and we are all different.
The advice most of us get with NovoRapid is to pre-bolus 15 minutes before eating for ALL meals.
With DP/FoTF, we often find we need to pre-bolus earlier for breakfast.
The usual advice is to move the time by 5 minutes each day until you are happy you have minimised the spike. Breakfast is easier than most meals because most people have the same every day.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally for me novorapid in the morning is really really slow. I need to.inject at least 30 mins before breakfast