Higher BS in morning than just before going to bed. Why?

FairyJan

Any ideas why my blood sugar count is sometimes higher in the morning before I've had anything to eat or drink, than it was at least two hours after my meal and drink (apart perhaps from peppermint tea or water) just before going to bed? I have not been diagnosed as diabetic by the GP, but my levels concern my nutritionist as they have been rising over the past year or so. Therefore, I am testing two or three times a day at different times, as well as being careful with my diet and exercise. My levels are now usually between 5.3 and 5.9

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out “dawn phenomenon”. The idea is that our livers release glucose ready to use to prepare us for the day ahead.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Within the accuracy of home testing kits, I would not worry about a rise to 5.9 from 5.3.
People without diabetes can rise to 9 f they eat something very carbs such as pizza.

Yulkuy

Within the accuracy of home testing kits, I would not worry about a rise to 5.9 from 5.3.
People without diabetes can rise to 9 f they eat something very carbs such as pizza.
People without diabetes spike to 12 after drinking coke, saw that on multiple examples