Higher fasting BG than 2 hours after eating

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I have been monitoring my fasting BG and I could not understand why my Fasting BG is higher and 2 hours after eating going down? For example, today Fasting was 6.7 at 8am, going down to 6.2 before my first meal at 11am. Then 5.5 / 2 hours after meal. Has anyone experiencing anything similar? Thank you.
What I ate so far were broccoli+tofu stir fry, some pickled artichokes half crumpet)
(I am on low carb/ IF 16:8)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
We diabetics hate mornings!
Around the time you wake up, your liver dumps a load of glucose into your system to give you the energy you need to kickstart the day!
Some people refer to this as Dawn Phenomenon which is something you can read up about on the web if you want to. Also, you can enter it in the seach bar (top of your screen) and you will find many threads about it.

Reactions: rilakkuma02

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
We diabetics hate mornings!
Around the time you wake up, your liver dumps a load of glucose into your system to give you the energy you need to kickstart the day!
Some people refer to this as Dawn Phenomenon which is something you can read up about on the web if you want to. Also, you can enter it in the seach bar (top of your screen) and you will find many threads about it.

Thank you, I will. Great to know the name for it. I feel there is nothing else I can cut off now. Miss carbs.

Reactions: urbanracer

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been monitoring my fasting BG and I could not understand why my Fasting BG is higher and 2 hours after eating going down? For example, today Fasting was 6.7 at 8am, going down to 6.2 before my first meal at 11am. Then 5.5 / 2 hours after meal. Has anyone experiencing anything similar? Thank you.
What I ate so far were broccoli+tofu stir fry, some pickled artichokes half crumpet)
(I am on low carb/ IF 16:8)
How long have you been low carb? Dawn phenomenon often impacts as others have said and it can be the last of the readings to reduce, over time it may well reduce naturally

but that said, 6.7 fasting is still a good level, there may be improvements to come but you should be pleased with that anyway