Higher than usual readings

frankesb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

My blood sugar control has been, up to now, fairly good however over the last few days I have noticed a slow trend in the numbers getting higher. My usual readings in the morning are between 4.8-5.5 and 2 hours after a meal they are usually between 5.0-6.5 (but have tended to stay under or in the low 6s).

Over the last two-three days my morning readings have been 5.9-6.6 and after meal readings 6.6-7.8 which worries me slightly as they have not been this high for a while (diagnosed 4 months ago).

I exercise reguilarly, eat a low carb diet and stick to a routine with testing.

Do people experience a wave of higher reading and then they go back to normal or is this trend up something I should take seriously?

Thanks!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @frankesb I get fluctuating BS and from time to time notice them creeping up. I keep a food diary, and a look through can often help me pin point possible causes, such as higher carb intake. I also use Intermittent Fasting as a means to bring my sugars down a bit

frankesb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @walnut_face thanks for letting me know. I have tended to stick to the same diet. The only real carbs I have are 2 Ryvita crackers in the evening and they never coinside with a spike in sugar for me.

The only thing I have done differently is for two days I have had some smoked fisah mixed with some light cream cheese.

My numbers have always been around the levels I mentioned previously and have never spiked like this before. Thinking of seeing a private doctor as I think my GP is at the edge of his knowledge when it comes to specifics like this.

Thanks!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just speculation, but it may be that the added fat (cream cheese) is slowing your digestion down a little, resulting in a slower rise and fall after meals.

Just out of interest, how low carb have you gone? Would you say you are ketogenic?
And how long have you been at those carb levels? The whole 4 months since diagnosis?

If your routine has remained the same (exercise has a significant impact) then other variables might be sleep and sleep deprivation, stress, maybe fighting off a virus...

Unfortunately, most docs just see bgs within the 'normal range' or 'pre-diabetic' which yours are, and lose interest. I suspect you would have to produce significantly diabetic figures before you started being taken seriously. Sad but true.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I also ask if this worrying upward trend started when you opened a new pot of strips? Pots of strips can vary one from another, quite alarmingly sometimes. So it could be a rogue pot.

Can I also ask if your before meal levels have gone up, thus impacting on your post meal levels? If so, were the actual rises from before to after fairly normal and what you would expect? I ask this because there is something called physiological insulin resistance (not the same as diabetic insulin resistance) that sometimes happens a few months into a low carb diet, especially a ketogenic diet. This happened to me earlier this year - all base levels up but the actual rises from before to after much the same as before. Some people find a few extra carbs for a few days kicks them out of this. Have a Google for PIR.