Highs after exercising

backarini

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi all,
Just needing a bit of advice!
I'm type 1 hypothyroid, been using an insulin pump for nearly 3 years and my hba1c is 50 so most of the time my control is good!
I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm very active and walk about 5 miles a day thanks to my commute. But in the last few months I've joined a gym and have started various classes and gym sessions.
My sugars are often between 5 and 9 before I start a 45 min/1 hour class (usually running, zumba, kettle bells, body conditioning or body pump) - if they are under 6 or 7, I have a small glass of orange juice, or a banana, or a small cereal bar- nothing mad.
I often work out with my pump not attached as I found I was going low if I kept my pump attached- even using a temporary basal rate.
I reattach my pump straight after the class- and when I test when I get home home I'm often 16-20 ish! It's really frustrating as I'm trying to be healthy by exercising but am faced with **** blood sugars!
Any advice on how to manage these weird highs, and what I'm doing wrong, would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi all,
I'm type 1 hypothyroid, been using an insulin pump for nearly 3 years and my hba1c is 50 so most of the time my control is good!
I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm very active and walk about 5 miles a day thanks to my commute. But in the last few months I've joined a gym and have started various classes and gym sessions.
My sugars are often between 5 and 9 before I start a 45 min/1 hour class (usually running, zumba, kettle bells, body conditioning or body pump) - if they are under 6 or 7, I have a small glass of orange juice, or a banana, or a small cereal bar- nothing mad.
I often work out with my pump not attached as I found I was going low if I kept my pump attached- even using a temporary basal rate.
I reattach my pump straight after the class- and when I test when I get home home I'm often 16-20 ish! It's really frustrating as I'm trying to be healthy by exercising but am faced with **** blood sugars!
Any advice on how to manage these weird highs, and what I'm doing wrong, would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

Hi @backarini ,

You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong as such, some forms of ecercise (like going to the gym) can cause a stress reaction so you end up with higher blood sugars despite doing exercise. I think you'll find this page from the main site interesting.............

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin-pumps/exercise-and-insulin-pumps.html

There's a website called runsweet for active diabetics that may give you additional advice, also you could get some handy tips by posting on the forum for exercise and sport..... where some of the more active members reside.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/fitness-exercise-and-sport.33/

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not on a pump, but type 1 on injections. I experienced the same thing after running etc. at the gym, with my bloods jumping up to 20 after exercise. It's frustrating I know!
The only way I've found to prevent this is to 'have insulin in my system' during exercise - so I'll either exercise within 1 hour of a meal/injection, or inject just before exercise - therefore having to eat more than the usual pre-exercise carbs! Also found injecting 1 or 2 units after exercise worked - before my levels started rising - but this seems a little risky.
I don't know how this might work on a pump but I hope it helps!

J-a-n-e

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugar level is normally going down during walking, but if I do running or caving it's always going up. 7 before the exercise, 2 hours later 15, 4 hours later up to 25. I believe it's because your body produces some stress hormones (adrenalin). I'm on a pump now, but I've just started using it recently and forbidden to do any exercises at the moment. Before, when I was on injections I've injected some extra units prior to exercise. It's working a bit, but still, even with extra insulin my sugar level was rising...

Nat b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi all,
I had the same when I disconnected my pump and k tones too. I find if I eat within a couple hours of exercising I always hypo whatever I do! I usually eat a banana before I go and make sure levels r above 9 and reduce my insulin by 30 to 40%. I always go high after exercise however been told it's normal and it will come down. Also depends on what exercise u do. I am struggling with hypos the next day and this is not helping me as losing no weight! Any ideas out there?? I hope u sort urs out.