Hiring a car as T1D

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of my first holiday since diagnosis a year ago probably stick to UK. Wondered if there are any pitfalls or likely problems now I've got a 3 year license please? License is otherwise clean and no accidents on record after 40 years driving.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi There @col101
I have been T1D for over 44 years -- I have a 3 year restricted as you mention-- I have rented cars for the past 16 years here in the Uk and in Europe and nobody has ever batted so much as an eyelid at me

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never hired a car.. 3 year restricted too. However I've been given loan cars by garages while mine was in "dry dock".. Works vans & stuff all on "fleet insurance".. With no issues either.. ;)

Lol, I got stopped by Dutch cops in north Holland once with an outa date licence. (The new one was sitting in an envelope at home on the shelf.) :banghead: a brief explaination of this. (They can check.) and an "OK. Enjoy your holiday!" Then sent on my way...
To,coin a phrase not so much as an eyelid..! :cool:

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I've hired cars from time to time. To be honest i can't remember if i was asked if i was a diabetic of any type on any forms or verbally. Having said that if i ever was asked i would most definitely tell them. Your 3 yr license would be a good indicator of nothing else as they will want to see that.

Enjoy your holiday.

Martin

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Check your holiday insurance coverage.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never even come up and never had issues

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone that's reassured me :) seem to just expect everything to be complicated or difficult these days lol