History & Diabetes

ALAN50

Hi,
Wasn't sure where to post this as I'm a newbie but, being diabetic and also very interested in history, I'd love to read about how diabetics were affected during World War 2 in particular, and if any diabetics were able to contribute towards the war effort in any way?
Things are so different for us now and looking at how things were - and with my interest in World War 2 - I would be very grateful if anybody could suggest any books I might want to read...or maybe it is something I or others could actually research!
My Grandmother was diabetic, but she died in 1969. I am very curious how it was for her and others too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello Alan and welcome to the forum! :)

Catherine posted this heart-breaking account of a survivor in the concentration camps in WW2, take a read:

dlife.com/diabetes/export/pics/dLife_Images/Show_pages/219-Ernest-Sterzer-account.pdf

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Alan and welcome to the forum :)

I think you might be interested in this link to the Diabetes Photo Museum which should give you an idea of how it was.

tudiabetes.org/group/diabetesphotomusuem

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daisy, thanks for reminding me of this horrible contraption on the link you posted :(

autolet.jpg

Hurt like hell and can't believe I used this!

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
:shock:

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!? Looks like some kind of S&M device! :lol:

TheSparkyPony

daisy1 said:
tudiabetes.org/group/diabetesphotomusuem

*Gulp* :shock:

Some of those devices look to be more cruel than beneficial! (Looking at the pre-1960's!)

Glad I was born when I was, I might moan about not getting an insulin pump or being moaned at for using too many strips, but jeez, I'm lucky!

ALAN50

Thanks for the welcome & the links :)

I've been diabetic since 1981 and I remember a LOT of those old pieces of equipment, even then, never mind the 60's!

ALAN50

TheSparkyPony said:
being moaned at for using too many strips

I've had that too, and I was disgusted...after 30 years you lose the usual symptoms of knowing when a hypo may happen (common knowledge I think most would agree?!) but my GP refused to allow me more test strips...I quit and moved to another practice but I really did feel like he was putting my life at risk! :x

BigMike

noblehead said:
Hello Alan and welcome to the forum! :)

Catherine posted this heart-breaking account of a survivor in the concentration camps in WW2, take a read:

dlife.com/diabetes/export/pics/dLife_Images/Show_pages/219-Ernest-Sterzer-account.pdf

Nigel

What an extraordinary and heart-breaking life-story. Amazing that he survived. I hope that their'll be no second hitler in the future.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;