hit a wall

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
i seem to have hit a wall with my diabetes. im type 1, insulin dependant. up untill recently i have not thought much on diabetes i have just got on with it. but i have started feeling down about it. i dont know if its a delayed reaction to it or what but i broke down at work the other week. it was like everything landing on me at once, the fact that i can never enjoy those sugary threats everyone takes for granted. the fact that every sugar free drink tastes like garabage. i feel like quiting and giving up. everytime i get a cold or a bug it kills me. just fed up

IanS

I don't know what sugary drinks that you used to like, but have you tried the likes of Coke zero or Fanta Zero? Somehow they taste sufficiently similar to the sugared variety that there is almost no difference in taste. The only time that I notice a difference in taste is when I dilute the Coke zero with a drop of Bacardi rum.

As for not being able to enjoy sugary treats: I have now got so used to not having anything sugary that if I were to try even a small sugary treat that it tastes so sweet that it is sickly.

As for your wall. I can't speak for everyone, but I guess most of us have been there. I had a not disimilar feeling when I was first dignosed (not helped by a diagnosis for glaucoma shortly afterwards which was completely unexpected at the time).

I wish you could meet a couple cousins of mine. They are both type 1 and one has been since childhood. From their outlook on life you would never guess that either is diabetic at all.

I took the decision that diabetes (and all the other problems - and they are many) wasn't going to rule my lfe any more than it had to. I plan on spending at least another 25 years on this planet (I'm 57).

I wish I could think of more to say.

IanS

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya ,
how long have u been diabetic?
i was fine for a couple of years then started feeling really peed off,at the time my bloods were unstable so that really didnt help, i then joined here...learnt about the different insulins and put my foot down with everyone, since then i havent looked back, yes i get peed off as im 37 with a few lifelong illnesses but i am alive,
i made the decision there and then i needed to look after myself as i need to be able to be healthy enough to play with any grandkids i may get,
once i accept any of my illnesses and realise ive got em forever it does help,
do u have good bloods?
have you anyone to talk to?
if its so bad,what about counselling?
if u need a chat just yell :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
chips
depression is common in diabetes. Talk to your doctor or DSN about it. They may be able to help.
Hana

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
im going to see my doc on monday, my sugars have been terrible since i got my own place, im shareing with two life long friends but things arnt going well. today i woke up feeling really weak and sick, i checked my bloods, they were 14.7, so i checked for ketones and it was 5.6. havnt been able to eat today either, just hope im ok for work tomorrow. cant afford anymore time off.

i been diabetic for 3yrs. and no i dont really have anyone i can talk to

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hi Chips,
Sorry to hear you are feeling this way at the moment. This is the place where you do have friends. Lots of them are well read, experienced in their own diabetes and ready to hear you and encourage you. As my diabetes is T2 I got angry with myself for doing lots of things to myself that put me in this club. So if I put myself in I had to get myself out, but found that once diagnosed I have it for keeps.

With T1 you had it land on you with no choice in the matter and that would be something huge to adjust to I believe. Take inspiration from reading about T1s who are in their 70's & 80's and living life to the fullest.

Oh and by the way IanS I just turned 58 on Monday and I am upping the ante here. My goal is another 38 years. Are you on for the challenge?
Chips-- how about joining us?
Alison

IanS

clearviews said:
Oh and by the way IanS I just turned 58 on Monday and I am upping the ante here. My goal is another 38 years. Are you on for the challenge?
Chips-- how about joining us?
Alison

No I didn't, I'm still 57.

... and I said at least 25 years. That takes me to 82. If I can get further with all my marbles then so be it.

Why didn't you make your goal 42 years and go for the big 100?

IanS

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
if u feel any iller u need to see someone sooner as ketones are dangerous when bloods are high, as for having noone to talk to, before i joined here i didnt have either, i didnt know any other diabetics,
there is a chat room on this site, if u need a moan and im online just shout :D

roo.be

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Chips,

That wall is potentially always around the corner. I was very young when diagnosed and have no memory of having sweet foods and sugary drinks ever but I hit my first wall in my teens and without the support and help I have today I ate badly, didn't test ever, in fact did everything I shouldn't. The wall was the 'why me' wall. the stuff I did was simply a response to it based upon anger and rebellion! Keytones and eventual hospitalisation is quite a wake up call to learning to live with this and have some form of acceptance.

I have since hit many other walls. walls associated with drink, relationships, pregnancy etc etc. All of these things react differently with diabetes but usually in a negative way. Depression also seems to be connected.

Having good support helps a lot. I know someone who in her desperation to get help her get over her never ending wall formed her own support group. This group has gone from strength to strength and now pretty much runs itself. She is doing so much better for it.

If the keytones persist go to the dr. If you need some moral support, keep posting. It seems that help never comes to you when you need it most, you have to find it yourself. Once you know where it is though it's always going to be there.

As far as sugary drinks goes try and think about the other benefits of not having them, less calories, sugary muck on your teeth etc.

roo

Fujifilm

The worse your sugar levels are the worse you tend to feel especially if you have ketones.

Then when you feel down if you are anything like me you want to eat everything you are not meant to, which in turn makes you feel worse.

As others have said you need to see your Doctor and have a chat, once you get on track again you will feel good. Also I do not let my diabetes run my life so if I want something sweet and sugary I have it just in moderation and adjust insulin accordingly.

When you can't have something, it makes you want it all the more. Also if you give yourself a little treat every now and again its so much nicer. Well thats what my wife keeps telling me. :lol: :lol:

roo.be

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I couldn't agree more with fujifilm on both the points.

The worse you feel the more you want the things that don't help and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle!

Also, a little of what you fancy......Knowing the values of the things you eat and inject accordingly.

I hope things have picked up for you since you began this thread.

roo