HIT exercises for physically disabled?

JenniferG

Anyone know of any good online resources or books I can buy that have a set of HIT type exercises a physically disabled individual such as myself can handle?

After reading Dr. Michael Mosley's book "The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet", I see the importance of HIT type exercises, as they are shown to improve insulin sensitivity.

I am morbidly obese at 27 stone (379 pounds), and have chronic non-insertional achilles tendonitis in my right leg.

Dr. Mosley talks about using exercise bike to achieve this, which might work for me, but I'm so heavy it hurts my bum horribly sitting on exercise bikes and causes numbness in between my thighs and cuts of circulation. I also don't have a bike and probably would break with with my excessive weight. Can't afford a gym either and they are too far away.

Can they be done in a pool? Thinking about getting an above ground pool, but then I couldn't use that in the winter :(

Well maybe there are some other ideas.

I know I'm probably asking for too much. But figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks,
Jennifer

fene48

Anyone know of any good online resources or books I can buy that have a set of HIT type exercises a physically disabled individual such as myself can handle?

After reading Dr. Michael Mosley's book "The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet", I see the importance of HIT type exercises, as they are shown to improve insulin sensitivity.

I am morbidly obese at 27 stone (379 pounds), and have chronic non-insertional achilles tendonitis in my right leg.

Dr. Mosley talks about using exercise bike to achieve this, which might work for me, but I'm so heavy it hurts my bum horribly sitting on exercise bikes and causes numbness in between my thighs and cuts of circulation. I also don't have a bike and probably would break with with my excessive weight. Can't afford a gym either and they are too far away.

Can they be done in a pool? Thinking about getting an above ground pool, but then I couldn't use that in the winter :(

Well maybe there are some other ideas.

I know I'm probably asking for too much. But figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Hi JenniferG.
There is a great website called www.Disabled-world.com that has a wealth of information on exercises. It might have what you are after.
Regards

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may consider something like a FitDesk elliptical or similar device that allows you to sit in a more comfortable chair, but still exercise. Perhaps one of your goals could be to eventually be able to ride a bike again without the fear of pain or being conscious of your weight?

The important thing is to do something and start somewhere because that's the toughest part. We can all empathize with how tough it is to exercise when dealing with health issues. Unfortunately, the extra weight we carry around isn't so empathetic. It doesn't care how tough our workday was, how little sleep we got the night before, or how much pain we are in.

After you get started, I think you'll find out what most of us have found: not only does it get easier mentally, but it gets easier physically as well. Things start to hurt a little less, you have more energy, and it tends to have residual effects on many other health issues as well (diabetes certainly being one of them).

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

JenniferG

Oh that FitDesk elliptical looks neat. First time I've ever saw one. I can sit in my my soft chair and do it. wow.. this might work! Is that a pretty reliable piece of gear? Do they break easy? Thanks.

Can I do HIT with it as Dr. Mosley describes in The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet? He says to cycle for a few mins , then do max exertion for 20 seconds.. then cycle a min or two and repeat that 20 seconds.. and then one more round of that.. for 3 rounds of 20 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator: