Hmm, didn't see that coming

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Breakfast this morning (bacon, egg, mushrooms, tea) was after the 7.3. The 7.3 was virtually a fasting level, 12 hours after eating last night (6.9 2 hours after that). All I had between the 6.9 and the 7.3 was a cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting BG can be the last to fall into line - or in my case, it never did. My fasting is almost always the highest of the day, much higher than my other pre-meal readings. Dawn phenomenon can mess with it badly.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Thanks Indy, that's helpful (just read a bit about dawn phenomenon and liver dumping). Just tested again at breakfast +3 (at work, can't just duck out of meetings) and it was 7.3 again, coincidence presumably!

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Starting to develop a blood test pattern now and things seem to be doing what I expect which is reassuring.

Had some greek salad, carrot, humous, salami, and an apple for lunch around 12:30, then tested at 5:00 as I was leaving the office to drive home, 6.5. Next adventure was to find something decent to eat in motorway services, where previously I would probably have had an Angus and chips from Burger King. But at Cobham (new services on M25 south side) I found a Mexicana in the food court and had a very nice green salad box with shredded beef, peppers, some sour cream and guacamole. Stopped in a lay-by 2 hours later to test again (I don't always commute this distance!), 7.6.

So I'll probably do the dinner -1 and +2 daily until my appointment on 16 April (and maybe ease down a bit after that unless I am eating something 'uncertain'), and the overnight fasting test about once a week. Certainly enough to give some decent data to the DN.

Sound reasonable?

Rod

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just picked up elsewhere on the forum that the test after meals should be 2 hours after starting, not after finishing. I tend to eat quite quickly so shouldn't be a big deal, but I'll adjust it from now on.

LCHF seems to be suiting me, I feel much clearer-headed and lively, and I'm not missing my bête noire, bread, at all.

Also just got a blood pressure monitor as requested by GP. Last night I was 151/96 and 151/90 for the two tests, and this morning I was 144/92 and 137/87. This compares with the 160/90 at the time of the last blood test, possibly white coat syndrome and the walk to the surgery contributed to that.

Rod