lisa00769

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
hi all.
I'me going to Egypt in a couple of weeks and is the first holiday I've had since being on insulin.
I'm worried about my insulin getting too hot and not working.
And I'm not sure which carry case to use if I'm out for the day?
Also what do I do about a sharps bin as my home one is quite big and bulky and my travel one is not big enough for the two weeks?
Can any one help me please? I'm stressing about it all now x

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to Egypt last September so very hot.
I bought a frio pouch for travelling with the insulin. I then kept it in the fridge in my room. If we were spending time by the pool etc. . I just went up to the room to inject, therefore I did not need to worry about it getting hot. I did take it out on excursions but put it back into the frio pouch.
I also took extra insulin so if it was spoilt I had spare.
Can't you get an extra sharps bin thingy on prescription?
I did struggle with the heat and was unwell for a couple of days. Not sure if it was heat or food/drinks so do be careful.x

Reactions: 3 people

lisa00769

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Hi lisa x
I think I can get another sharps box but thought maybe the hotel may supply. I know I'm being lazy lol x
Is the frio pouch good? X

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great advice from @lisacp.

You can buy the travel sharp bins (0.2L)for around £2 - £3 which should do the job.

Reactions: 2 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Frio pouch is good. You soak it in water and the crystals expand. The insulin has to be cold before you put it in. The pouch keeps cold things cold but will not cool down warm things. (Does that make sense? ) You can get them on Amazon.x

lisa00769

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Thankyou both so much x I'll look for bin and also for frio pouch x
I'm just stressing over nothing x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@lisa00769, be sure to take along a copy of your repeat prescription just in case you need any diabetes related supplies over there, also be sure to split your supplies between yourself and a travelling partner in case one bag goes missing, that way you'll have enough to tide you over until you get more from a pharmacy.

Also, although very few people ever get asked to show one its a good idea to get a letter from your diabetes team to say that you have type 1 diabetes and need to carry things like needles and lancets, some gp surgeries charge but if you ask your hospital team they will provide a letter for nothing. Enjoy your holiday.

lisa00769

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Ahh Thankyou noblehead. Yes I have a letter from gp already Nd they charged me £10!!!
But all sorted. Good idea to split all my meds I shall certainly do that
Thankyou again x