Holiday highs

rkeane

Hi,
I went on my first sun holiday since diagnosed last year. Had been talking to my doctor and she suggested that I decrease my insulin dosage when I get there as hot weather tends to create hypos. I did what I was told and gradually decreased my dosage. Sugar levels went way high so went back to my usual dosages. Still level remained high. Increased my dosage and levels stayed high. They did tend to come down at lunch, back to 8.0. However, the problem was at night time. I realise my dinners were larger but increased my novorapid. Went to bed, levels usually at 13 and would wake up between 10/15. They wouldn't come down until lunch again. Was only delighted to get home where my sugar levels went straight back to normal. Now, I'm lucky enough to be going on another sun holiday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do at night time to keep my levels down? Am kind of dreading the holiday and would nearly stay at home just to feel normal.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Roosh

Glad you managed to get away to some sun but sorry you were blighted with high blood glucose (BG) levels.

Things to consider – these are not in any order of importance just things to consider: :idea:

Was there any time difference on your hols? – even an hour’s time difference can sometimes upset the biorthyms of our body – and thus upset your insulin regime.

What background (basal) insulin are you using? Are you on a once a day if so what time or a twice a day background insulin?

Travel times – if you fly during the night or land early in the morning – little things like that can upset BG levels.

In comparison to say your non holiday routine would you say you were more active, about the same or less active? Golly that sound like one of those questionnaires :lol:
I know it might sound obvious but even if you were slightly less active this could account for a rise in BG Levels coupled with the larger evening meal might influence higher BG levels overnight.

Was your carb intake significantly different during the evening? In comparison to what your 'normal' bedtime blood sugars are how significantly higher were you? You also compensated by giving higher doses of Novorapid but you may have gone hypo during the night because of exercise/activity you did during the day & thus you get a liver dump which increases the waking BG's.

Were you ovulating – the two weeks in the female menstrual cycle from ovulation to menstruation is notorious for pushing up BG levels overnight even if you live on a lettuce leaf & celery stick during the day. :roll:

Although its true that hot weather can reduce your insulin requirements In my personal experience I would personally not change any doses until I had arrived on holiday & kept checking BG levels.

Please don’t let it spoil your next holiday because worrying only increases BG levels. :roll:

You clearly were able to identify your BG levels were not right and you took action.

Keep planning the hols!

Best wishes

Txx

rkeane

Hey,
Thanks so much for all the info u provided for me. I had a good think about everything u asked me to consider before my next holiday.
So on my second holiday I exercised every morning for 30 mins and that kept my levels under control throughout the day. My evening meals were always eaten around two hrs later than I usually would and my carb consumption was larger. Anyway, after these observations, I increased my background insulin at night quite significantly (Levimer, taken twice a day, 8am, 8pm) and woke up every morning with levels between 4 and 5. Needless to say I was delighted and enjoyed my holiday thoroughly.
At least I know for next time what to expect. Live and learn!!
Thanks again for all your advice,
Roosh