Holiday in different time zone

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all.

I'm lucky to be going to the Maldives on Wednesday.

I've got everything sorted but it just occurred to me - how is MDI is managed - in particular basal - when I take it at 10pm and they are 5 hours in front.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts as I'm still a baby at 9 months in.

Many thanks

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I just let my body adapt to the new time. So i just do my stuff at the ussuall time in the new country but this might of already been because my body was used to it as i've lived in different countries. I use injections. Just remember to change the time on your monitor etc...

Reactions: 4mum_

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I start by taking it 1 hour earlier, or later for a few days - whichever’s appropriate - before departure

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just thought... if I bring the basal forward what happens when it's near or coincides with a fast acting?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Erm, don't want to worry you unduly, @4mum_ , but would this be the same Maldives that declared a state of emergency a few days ago?

Haven't looked into it that much, but it seems that their Supreme Court decision to order the release of political prisoners, presumably because they were being unlawfully held, was overruled by the President, so things have kicked off a bit, mainly in the capital: troops on streets.

UK govt doesn't like a lot of court judgments against it, but complies as it understands the rule of law instead of just ignoring them and sending troops in to arrest judges.

Foreign Office seems quietly cautious about the matter:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/maldives

But the Independent's input from the Maldivian Govt sounds as convincing as the Khmer Rouge's beneficial plans for Cambodia - that didn't work out well.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...t-impact-hotels-flights-news-updates-a8200136

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because my basal lasts for 24 hours, I just carried on taking every 24 hours. When in California which is 8 hours behind I took it at 3 in the afternoon rather than 11 at night. If anything my readings were better.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes... those Maldives

Enjoy, but do a bit of googling before you get on the plane to make sure you're not walking into the Maldivian version of the Tunisian Arab Spring.

There's a few indicators there that this isn't going to work out quite as well as the Maldivian govt says it will.

Still, time in a country with civil problems can set enjoyable new challenges for a T1. I was once in Kathmandu, Nepal, when it imposed a night time curfew because of Maoist tubes. We were supposed to be in beddy byes when the sun came down, but it was all sorted by renting a hotel room next door to a decent pub which did a lock in after dark and then you just took your chances scuttling next door and climbing over the wall to get into the room.

No guns were involved then, not sure that'll be the case with the Maldives though. These things can unwind messily very quickly.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because my basal lasts for 24 hours, I just carried on taking every 24 hours. When in California which is 8 hours behind I took it at 3 in the afternoon rather than 11 at night. If anything my readings were better.

Well, yes. I assumed that if it lasts 24 hours (well it doesn't, but still) then the right thing to do would be to keep taking it every 24 hours, regardless of what time that ended up being. I think it was actually better in that I ended up feeling bad at night rather than during the morning, when I went to Australia.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Shame I'm going 5 hrs in front !

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well, yes. I assumed that if it lasts 24 hours (well it doesn't, but still) then the right thing to do would be to keep taking it every 24 hours, regardless of what time that ended up being. I think it was actually better in that I ended up feeling bad at night rather than during the morning, when I went to Australia.
Mine doesnt quite make 24hrs either. So 3am it is then

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been T1 for 53 years and have travelled extensively on business as well as on holiday throughout my adult life. The time zone issue does take some thinking about but it can be handled. As stated in other posts I try to adjust over a couple of days and do lots of blood tests in those days. I then adjust with small bolus top ups if readings go high and eat if they are trending low. A year ago I went from one per day basal to two per day as I found this gave better stability. At two per day you are never that far out no matter where you are in the world. The secret is frequent testing. Flash monitoring (Freestyle Libre) helps as you can test every few minutes if you want and you get a trace of the trend over the full 24 hours.
I normally find that on holiday my activity level is higher, and weather is different, and so frequent testing is necessary in any event. On the flight, sitting around for hours can spike your sugar. I try to get an aisle seat so I can take a walk every half hour. Just up and down the plane a couple of times helps to keep the blood moving.
I hope you enjoy the Maldives. I was there last summer. Beautiful. Apart from passing through Male I think you are very unlikely to be affected by the current political unrest.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for all that info. It's good to gather all of this from everyone so I can work out something. I think the first thing is to move my basal... but what do I do when it gets to a time when I would eat and bolus at the new basal time? Albeit for a few days.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was about to post the same question.. but instead i'll hijack here ;)
I'm off to China (+8hrs) in 3 weeks - my lantus lasts 23hours and i take at 7-8pm everyday. I too wondered how i handle this?
Would i not do a lantus the first day and just carry on as normal (7-9)pm on my second day? Didnt want to take a does 8 hours early on the first day... ?

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was about to post the same question.. but instead i'll hijack here ;)
I'm off to China (+8hrs) in 3 weeks - my lantus lasts 23hours and i take at 7-8pm everyday. I too wondered how i handle this?
Would i not do a lantus the first day and just carry on as normal (7-9)pm on my second day? Didnt want to take a does 8 hours early on the first day... ?
Hi. I'm just back this morning. It got complicated for me changing lantus slowly so did the best I could to move it and then just did it and worked around it. I had some high bg but because I was laying in the sun without too much exercise. I soon corrected them. I found the plane journey the hardest with two time zone changes due to a transfer.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But how was the holiday??????? (anybody would think this is a diabetes forum.....................)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
But how was the holiday??????? (anybody would think this is a diabetes forum.....................)
Paradise! 10 nights on a island in the Maldives. In an over water suite with our own decking and ladder into the sea. And a 5* buffet 3 times a day (nightmare!!)
IMG-20180221-WA0018.jpg

Reactions: slip and becca59