Holiday next year

all4658

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Help my new partner is type 2 with a insulin pen and lots of other meds trying to go abroad next year how do go about taking meds on plane also insurance has he had heart attack 4 years ago but ok now any help appreciated

A

asparagusp

Get a letter from your GP although so far security haven't asked to see it.

Also it's important to keep the medication cool and you can get little cooling pouches. I got mine from Frio - Google. I did find however that the pouch got too puffy and I was unable to get the Lantus out so I suggest for a single "pen" you buy a pouch for two.

Also remember that Lantus once out the fridge only lasts a month.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
yeh carrying a letter from a GP that also lists conditions and all the medications you're on is important. Also carrying medication in original packaging and/or scripts is important. My last experience on a domestic flight here when I presented the letter at check in was that I was told they were seating me where their flight staff could see me and get to me quickly if needed. I was a bit taken back as wasn't expecting that. But they explained they have duty of care and should anything happen to me they want to help. So I just went with what they wanted. But I've only had that said to me a couple of times. Just be aware this could arise when travelling and it probably just has to do with their policies and procedures on making sure your partner is safe. I'd say if they do it for domestic they'd probably do the same for international flights... probably depends on the carrier and their procedures though. I've been on international flights in the past but I haven't been overseas for 10 years now and was only placed on insulin beginning of 2010.

A

asparagusp

I was practically last in the boarding queue and was told I would need to put my very small suitcase in the hold. I told the guy I was diabetic and that I needed access to my suitcase (not true). Lo and behold I was given extra priority boarding! This was Ryanair, Marseille to Seville this summer.

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Make sure you only pack his meds in the Carry on luggage and not the checked luggage as his insulin pens can actually freeze! A letter from the Gp should suffice. Also I am only back from Las Vegas today and had to show proof of my condition(I carry an ID card that says I have t1) at times where they required to check my handbag going into certain venues and I had a bottle of lucozade with me.

A

asparagusp

I reiterate that it's very unlikely you will actually need to show your letter within the EU. Security doesn't have time! Still better to have the letter just in case.

mealingcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I flew this year for the first time with insulin (thomson's) we have to use the Welfare Team due to special needs of a member of our party. . They advised that the airline must be informed prior to travel that you need to take insulin in flight bag. I was asked at check in on way out and back to confirm I had my meds and syringes with me. Also check to make sure your fridge remains on in your room should you be in a hotel that uses your key to activate lights etc.

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got a letter off my diabetes nurse for my insulin stuff I never got ask to show the letter security just asked me what it was I told them my diabetes stuff and they let me walk straight through but I would definitely take the letter with you