Holiday switch from pod to injection

holdem

Hi i have just come back from a holiday and was in the pool a lot so switched from my pod (omnipod dash) to lantus. I took a bit of a punt with the ratios.

I have about 19 units of background over the day so started on 21 then ended up by end of holiday being on 26 units of lantus.

It may be coincidence but my bloods rose a lot more the 2-3 hrs before i had to do my lantus.

I forget if this was the norm?

Does anyone else do similar when away. I also wore a sort of waterproof plaster patch on my libre 2 sensor.

thanks

Reactions: AliceT

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find I need my pump more when I am on holiday because my basal requirements vary so much.
But I do remember a suspicion that my Lantus did not last the full 24 hours. It was pre-Libre days so I was not able to confirm but did have to top up with NovoRapid for a couple of hours (actually, I just gave myself a bigger evening meal blus and Lantused before I went to bed).

holdem

yup i feel the omnipod dash isnt great when youre in the pool a lot. I feel it loosens the stickiness and i feel the blue optic wire slips out but maybe im wrong.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yup i feel the omnipod dash isnt great when youre in the pool a lot. I feel it loosens the stickiness and i feel the blue optic wire slips out but maybe im wrong.
I have a Medtrum Nano and Medtrum provide over patches to secure the pump if you are spending a fair amount of time in the water.
I am surprised OminPod don't have something similar.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could split your lantus dose too, which should give you less of a drop off

Niks_98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anymore updates on this? I’m going away in May and I’ve been on my omnipod for a few months and I’d like to switch back to injections. Any advice for people doing this for the first time?

holdem

hi i did this split dose and it worked better. It gave me the freedom to be in the water a lot without worries my pod wasnt working.