Holiday - time difference

Creggwood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’m going to Vietnam and Cambodia in July which is 7hours ahead of the uk.
Currently I take my Lantus at 21:30, 4:30 Vietnam time. When I was initially diagnosed I was told to take my Lantus at the same uk time, however, I don’t want to wake up at 4:30 every morning out there to take my Lantus.
My ideal would be to change my Lantus to 17:00 or 16:00 uk time gradually until I go out there.
Has anyone done this? Is it okay?
If so, when would you suggest making the changes and how gradually?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I confess. I am an airport rat and travel non-stop for my job. And frequently across many time zones when going from aka Europe to the Americas or the other way to the Far East. E.g. LHR-SIN-SYD is one of the more annoying I make, as you are in your flight seat for 23 hours straight and incur a 11 hour time difference compared to your departure location. My strongest recommendation is to get switched on to the destination time zone as quickly as possible! Also actually for non-diabetics, to get your brain and body-clock into your new life away and benefit the most of, in this case, your vacation on a remote exotic location. So hereby how you best do that with your insulin therapy:
When you fly out towards the east (e.g. going to Vietnam, Cambodia or Australia) from Europe:
  • Then you will have a shorter day than usual, as for every time zone you fly east, your day will be 1 hour shorter than normal. So for that you will reduce your normal basal rate on the day of departure proportionally equal to that.
  • On the day before your departure, you take your usual dose of basal at the usual time of day.
  • On your day of departure, you should take a reduced dose at the usual time. You calculate your dose by using the following model:
    Basal dose on day of travel = usual dose x (0.9 - (number of time zones you are crossing/24)).
    So you observe that I go in practice down and take only 90% of my normal dose, just as a little safety margin. And then I take the normal basal dose proportionally with how many time zones (hours) that I shorten my day by. Aka, going to Sydney I shorten the day by 11 hours, so instead of my 11 units for 24 hours, I would take 6 units only.
  • After giving this reduced dose you now change your watch (and mind) to your destination time zone, and follow all routines as usual following that clock going forward.
  • So following your destination time zone, give the usual full dose of basal insulin at the hour you normally do.
When you fly home going west (or departing e.g. going to South/North America from Europe):
  • Then you will have a long day, as every additional time zone you fly west, you will add one more hour to your day that day!
  • The day before departure, do nothing special. Take your usual doses at the usual times.
  • When you start your travel day then take only half of the normal basal dose at the usual time.
  • After giving this half dose, change your watch and mind to your destination time.
  • Now follow all you do using your destination time. So give the remaining half of the basal insulin at the same time you normally do. So if you normally take your basal at 9pm in UK, you take your basal at 9pm according to your new destination time zone)
  • The next day keep to the destination time and give the usual full dosage at the usual times as you are used to from back home.
For each meal you take (main meal or snacks), you take your fast acting insulin as you would for any other meal when back home.

Have a great trip !

Metalmama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I confess. I am an airport rat and travel non-stop for my job. And frequently across many time zones when going from aka Europe to the Americas or the other way to the Far East. E.g. LHR-SIN-SYD is one of the more annoying I make, as you are in your flight seat for 23 hours straight and incur a 11 hour time difference compared to your departure location. My strongest recommendation is to get switched on to the destination time zone as quickly as possible! Also actually for non-diabetics, to get your brain and body-clock into your new life away and benefit the most of, in this case, your vacation on a remote exotic location. So hereby how you best do that with your insulin therapy:
When you fly out towards the east (e.g. going to Vietnam, Cambodia or Australia) from Europe:
  • Then you will have a shorter day than usual, as for every time zone you fly east, your day will be 1 hour shorter than normal. So for that you will reduce your normal basal rate on the day of departure proportionally equal to that.
  • On the day before your departure, you take your usual dose of basal at the usual time of day.
  • On your day of departure, you should take a reduced dose at the usual time. You calculate your dose by using the following model:
    Basal dose on day of travel = usual dose x (0.9 - (number of time zones you are crossing/24)).
    So you observe that I go in practice down and take only 90% of my normal dose, just as a little safety margin. And then I take the normal basal dose proportionally with how many time zones (hours) that I shorten my day by. Aka, going to Sydney I shorten the day by 11 hours, so instead of my 11 units for 24 hours, I would take 6 units only.
  • After giving this reduced dose you now change your watch (and mind) to your destination time zone, and follow all routines as usual following that clock going forward.
  • So following your destination time zone, give the usual full dose of basal insulin at the hour you normally do.
When you fly home going west (or departing e.g. going to South/North America from Europe):
  • Then you will have a long day, as every additional time zone you fly west, you will add one more hour to your day that day!
  • The day before departure, do nothing special. Take your usual doses at the usual times.
  • When you start your travel day then take only half of the normal basal dose at the usual time.
  • After giving this half dose, change your watch and mind to your destination time.
  • Now follow all you do using your destination time. So give the remaining half of the basal insulin at the same time you normally do. So if you normally take your basal at 9pm in UK, you take your basal at 9pm according to your new destination time zone)
  • The next day keep to the destination time and give the usual full dosage at the usual times as you are used to from back home.
For each meal you take (main meal or snacks), you take your fast acting insulin as you would for any other meal when back home.

Have a great trip !

Metalmama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Thanks for the tips that's really useful.

I am fairly new to MDI was on 2/day since 1973.

I am travelling to the USA and they are 6 hours behind. Sorry but I am a bit cnfused on what should do with my basal. I am on 22 units a day of Tresiba.

How do you cope with jetlag, too?

Thanks again!