Holiday tummy

Flamingo74

Hello all,

I’m on holiday and have had an upset tummy today. What do I do about eating tonight? Will it affect my sugars if I don’t have anything or should I try something? Last reading after lunch was 6.8 which is high for me and I can’t identify why.

Diagnosed April 19. T2 Metformin 500mg daily. Hba1c 106, 43.

Flamingo74

Sorry to read you are not feeling well on holiday.
Someone with type 2 will soon be along to comment on the affect of not eating on your BG.
As for why your BG is raised, it could be the stress from the sickness: there are many things which affect our BG including stress, illness and pain.

Thank you. Just to clarify I haven’t been sick. I won’t give too much more information

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Flamingo74

Sorry to hear about your tummy problems. Never fun, but especially when away from home.

If you’re only taking metformin and no other diabetes medication then not eating shouldn’t be a problem at all. If you’re not hungry then there’s no need to eat. Plenty of fluids, with some salt added will be important though.

Your higher than normal reading could well be because you’re under the weather, or it could just be one of those inexplicable diabetes moments. It’s not a terribly high number in the scheme of things (I know that’s all relative to your own ‘normal’ and targets) and will hopefully be a temporary blip.

Hope you feel better soon.

Flamingo74

Hi @Flamingo74

Sorry to hear about your tummy problems. Never fun, but especially when away from home.

If you’re only taking metformin and no other diabetes medication then not eating shouldn’t be a problem at all. If you’re not hungry then there’s no need to eat. Plenty of fluids, with some salt added will be important though.

Your higher than normal reading could well be because you’re under the weather, or it could just be one of those inexplicable diabetes moments. It’s not a terribly high number in the scheme of things (I know that’s all relative to your own ‘normal’ and targets) and will hopefully be a temporary blip.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you - still relatively new to this and trying hard to bring levels down and maintain them. Thanks for replying.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin should not typically cause a low, so eating should not be mandatory. I would go by how you feel, don’t force it if you are not hungry. Hope you feel better soon.

Being ill alone can rise BG. Stress, pain/discomfort, dehydration, lack of sleep, temperature, you name it. All can cause BG to go up or remain up.

Reactions: Flamingo74

Flamingo74

Metformin should not typically cause a low, so eating should not be mandatory. I would go by how you feel, don’t force it if you are not hungry. Hope you feel better soon.

Being ill alone can rise BG. Stress, pain/discomfort, dehydration, lack of sleep, temperature, you name it. All can cause BG to go up or remain up.

Thank you for replying.

ShortStuff

Hello all,

I’m on holiday and have had an upset tummy today. What do I do about eating tonight? Will it affect my sugars if I don’t have anything or should I try something? Last reading after lunch was 6.8 which is high for me and I can’t identify why.

Diagnosed April 19. T2 Metformin 500mg daily. Hba1c 106, 43.

Oh you poor thing - not what you want when you’re on holiday! How are you feeling now?

As a T2 only on metformin, there’s no real need to eat when you’re not hungry. If you can get one without paying an arm & a leg for it, try some avocado when you feel you’re ready to eat something.

I hope you’re feeling well again soon & enjoy your holiday!