Holiday

lauren_gee_x

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how I can keep my insulin cool while travelling.

I've booked to take my mother on a cruise this summer, we fly from glasgow to Palma but then have at least 3 house before we can board the ship.

Does anyone know of anything that I will be aloud to take on the plane with me to keep it cool

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lottiep

Hi Lauren, if you go to Boots you should be able to get an insulin travel wallet - maker Frio. You activate it with cold water and comes in a variety of sizes, youse also find then on amazon. Used it several times going to Spain and it was great. Also a good idea to get a letter from your GP or diabetes clinic confirming your diabetic and its your insulin - apparently some airports can be awkward and will confiscate insulin and needles. Safe travelling xx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lauren_gee_x said:
Hi thanks for replying but due to some some sort of rules your bit aloud to fly with any liquid on a uk flight

There's is no liquid in a frio wallet, you just activate it before you go :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi, I've been using a Frio, now use two, for some years now and carry a glucogon or two initial too when I go onholiday. It's great, and stays cool if put in a fridge overnight if you can borrow the use of one. I always take my insulin through the liquid checks in the Frio , tell the checkers what it is and ask them if they want to inspect it. If you really want peace of mind about this then get a letter from your GP explaining that you need to carry insulin with you.

plp

Hi,

I have used a Medicool Pen Plus case for several years now.

They're available from http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/diabet ... enplus.php, amazon and ebay.

Not as cheap as the frio wallet but they work by freezing a gel pack that you put in the back. There's room for 3 insulin pens (I put 2 pens, novorapid and lantus, and a spare novorapid vial into it. There's also a pocket for your bg meter. Wouldn't be without mine as we do a lot of cycling and the insulin can get very warm in a pannier :!:

I keep all my kit in it permanently, just don't put the gel pack in when we're at home. I then keep my record book in the back along with a pen, every nice and tidy all together :D