Type 2 Home Testing Kit

poetic1

Hi, my Doctor have prescribed Trajenta 5mg to take with my Metformin. I used a home test kit this afternoon and the reading was 15.0 mol/L. I’m not sure if this is high, low or normal. I would appreciate feedback thanks?

Poetic1

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The ideal range is 4-7 mmol so yes 15mmol is rather on the high side, have you only just started testing? Sorry I'm unaware what Trajenta is for? is it a diabetes medication?

poetic1

The ideal range is 4-7 mmol so yes 15mmol is rather on the high side, have you only just started testing? Sorry I'm unaware what Trajenta is for? is it a diabetes medication?
Thank you for that. Yes, Trajenta is for Diabetes. It’s an additional tablet to take with Metformin. My last blood test at the surgery was 96. Apparently, that was high, but I don’t know what measure method that was. And yes, this was my first home test.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The test at the Dr with a result of 96 would be a hba1c, that's an average of your blood glucose over the last 3 months which would mean you levels have been running about 14.8mmol which isn't great, how long have you been diagnosed? have you made any changes to try and get those levels down? xx

poetic1

The test at the Dr with a result of 96 would be a hba1c, that's an average of your blood glucose over the last 3 months which would mean you levels have been running about 14.8mmol which isn't great, how long have you been diagnosed? have you made any changes to try and get those levels down? xx

Hi again and thank you. I was diagnosed just over 12 months ago. My reading then was 60. It did go down to 56 and then 96. I’m not over weight, in fact, I’m losing weight. I have changed my eating habits that, more or less, follows the diet my doctor gave to me.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again and thank you. I was diagnosed just over 12 months ago. My reading then was 60. It did go down to 56 and then 96. I’m not over weight, in fact, I’m losing weight. I have changed my eating habits that, more or less, follows the diet my doctor gave to me.
may I ask what that diet includes? Also may I ask how old you are? xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m eating more fish, porridge for breakfast, plenty of fruit and vegetables and chicken. Unsweetened natural yogurt and snack on olives.
one thing there that may be a problem is porridge, diabetics struggle to tolerate carbohydrates and porridge is quite high in carbs as is things like bread, potatoes, rice/pasta, some vegetable and fruits so I'd suggest you possibly cut down on carbs, the way to test to see if foods are suitable for you as an individual is to test before eating and then again 2 hours after, ideally for something to be suitable you'd be looking for no more than a 2-3mmol rise in your post meal reading from your pre meal reading, again I asked your age as I wonder if you've been labelled as Type 2 without proper testing due to your age xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I’m 70 years old
Ah well its still not beyond the realms of possibility that you've been misdiagnosed, Type 2 doesn't generally lead to weight loss, did you have any GAD or Antibody tests done to rule out another type of diabetes? xx

poetic1

one thing there that may be a problem is porridge, diabetics struggle to tolerate carbohydrates and porridge is quite high in carbs as is things like bread, potatoes, rice/pasta, some vegetable and fruits so I'd suggest you possibly cut down on carbs, the way to test to see if foods are suitable for you as an individual is to test before eating and then again 2 hours after, ideally for something to be suitable you'd be looking for no more than a 2-3mmol rise in your post meal reading from your pre meal reading, again I asked your age as I wonder if you've been labelled as Type 2 without proper testing due to your age xx

Thank you for your sensible advice. I’m 70 years old.