Homeless Type 1

1974darrench

Hi.

Here is my story in shortned form.

Jan 2019 myself, partner and her son were made homeless due to our landlord wanting to sell the property. We couldn't get a private rented property due to credit problems. We went to Kettering council and was put on their homeless list. We was put in temporary accommodation on the leaving day of our original property. Stayed there for 6 months and was moved to another temporary accommodation and have been here for over a year now. Last week the council offered us a flat in a known drugs den. We refused the property and was told that after 28 days, we have to leave our temporary and go on the streets because they have no obligation to us anymore. My question is, are the council within their right to put a type 1 diabetic on the street with his family, one of which has mental health problems?

Last edited:
Reactions: JMcB

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know given that they have offered you a home which you've rejected.
I would ask to talk to the Citzen's Advice Bureau to see where you stand. YOu should be able to get a telephone appointment via the housing officer.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ This is the link to Diabetes UK which has a careline. I think they are good on legal issues like this and I hope you can find a permanent home soon.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

Jan 2019 myself, partner and her son were made homeless due to our landlord wanting to sell the property. We couldn't get a private rented property due to credit problems. We went to Kettering council and was put on their homeless list. We was put in temporary accommodation on the leaving day of our original property. Stayed there for 6 months and was moved to another temporary accommodation and have been here for over a year now. Last week the council offered us a flat a known drugs den. We refused the property and was told that after 28 days, we have to leave our temporary and go on the streets because they have no obligation to us anymore. My question is, are the council within their right to put a type 1 diabetic on the street with his family, one of which has mental health problems?
Your council has an obligation to provide assistance in the form of a personal plan.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/hous..._help_from_the_council/personal_housing_plans

You would be best advised to seek legal advice from an organisation such as Shelter.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/

1974darrench

If they still take no notice, I will be homeless and will stop taking my insulin. When I die, they might change their ways and my partner may get somewhere to live.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are the council within their right
can't answer this but would like to offer moral support in this time of uncertainty. being vulnerable in the housing market is horrid. a home (note not a 'house') is essential to wellbeing. wanted to say (although a bit useless really) that i feel for you in your current circumstances and hope you get a suitable outcome. if you don't in the short term, don't give up on your RIGHT for a proper home. there are enough resources in the world for everyone to have a safe home, you deserve one.

TypeZero.

Hi.

Jan 2019 myself, partner and her son were made homeless due to our landlord wanting to sell the property. We couldn't get a private rented property due to credit problems. We went to Kettering council and was put on their homeless list. We was put in temporary accommodation on the leaving day of our original property. Stayed there for 6 months and was moved to another temporary accommodation and have been here for over a year now. Last week the council offered us a flat in a known drugs den. We refused the property and was told that after 28 days, we have to leave our temporary and go on the streets because they have no obligation to us anymore. My question is, are the council within their right to put a type 1 diabetic on the street with his family, one of which has mental health problems?

Isn’t social housing supposed to be a short term thing anyways?

Why don’t you just take the flat and once you have enough money get a better place?

From the way the council see it they see a family who says they’re going to be homeless but won’t take a home when offered

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Darren,

I have no idea what the law is, but I feel like there must be something that should be done for you. As mentioned above, I'd get in contact with Citizen's Advice. I'd also suggest raising this with your local MP (whether they're from a political party you support or not). Giving Diabetes UK a call might also be worthwhile.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although I can't give you any advice, I really feel for you and I hope you find a solution. Can you talk to the local paper or something?

35yearsofType1

Hi.

Only just read this - how are you doing? Have you moved what has happened? I really hope you have had some help xx