honey aids weight loss? ok for diabetics?

rtee

I have just read this article
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/benefits-of-honey-for-weight-loss.html

It looks very interesting and I have long known that honey is 'good for you'.
Would two spoonsful of honey be too much for a diabetic?
I'm particularly interested in the night time dose as I have difficulty sleeping and I seem to have liver dump in the night as my morning Bg is invariably about a full point up than nighttime ie 5.5 p.m. - 6.6 am.
I just wondered if taking honey at bedtime might sort this out.

Talking about a source of complex carbohydrates - honey; a recent theory has enlightened a relation between weight loss and honey. A spoon full or two of honey just before sleep, either with warm water or just the honey, fuels up the liver, eases your stress hormone and assists in the fat burning process of the body. It also brings good sleep as well as helping you lose weight.

What do you wise ones here think?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you should try it.

I think I should try it too.

Everyone, try everything!

Grazer

Go for it, test, and see. But, their is a difference between a liver dump caused by low blood sugar and the dawn phenomenon. You are probably experiencing the latter, which we all get, and my thought is that the honey won't change it. But who knows? Dawn phenomenon is where the body releases cortisol to wake us up, this releases adrenalin and raises BGs to get us ready for the day. In a non-diabetic, insulin rapidly brings the BGs back down to normal levels, but with us, they stay higher for longer as we can't deal with the extra glucose as well as we should. A figure of +1 over bed readings is actually quite good; many people see much higher readings.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
rtee wrote
I just wondered if taking honey at bedtime might sort this out.

It might help you sleep, but you won't know if it's giving you a spike, which is a poor pay-off for a reduced DP
I'd suggest testing during the daytime to determine your response to honey.

Geoff

rtee

Thanks everyone. I know a bit more about DP now thanks to Grazer.
Geoff I will take your advice and see what happens maybe 1hr after & 2hrs after.
Will let you know.
Patch you made me laugh! Believe me some things are better not tried!!!