Honey & Lemon

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not very well at the moment guys, have a really bad cough that is keeping me and my other half awake at night, causing arguments between us, my back and chest aches and I'm missing time off work.
Bad times!
Obviously, cough medicine isn't meant to be used by diabetics because of the glucose but is honey and lemon okay? If I put a tablespoon of each in with some hot water?

Something has to give, I've had it for over a week now :(

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kat100

So sorry to hear that you are unwell, do you think your GP would give you some antibiotics.....
I would drink hot water and lemon , not sure about the honey , I would take hot infussed ginger as well..
Sending you hugs to get well soon....Kat x

Reactions: 5 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
"Is honey and lemon OK?" - No. If glucose isn't suitable for you, honey isn't either. Honey is simply glucose/sugar for bees! And, while honey and lemon may taste nice, it isn't going to do anything for a cough or aches and pains. Personally, I would take a paracetamol, but you may have medical reasons why you shouldn't, so mustn't copy me without proper advice and consideration. Perhaps it might be worth speaking to your doctor?
Sally

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, I read on a NHS website that honey and lemon helps because the honey lines the throat.
Would it not be easier to inject for the honey instead if cough medicine? If I measure it out properly?
I'm going to the pharmacy later on to pick up my prescription so I'll ask if they have anything suitable for me. Really struggling at the moment!

Indiana x

Reactions: 3 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The more I hear about NHS advice, the more gobsmacked I become. This isn't a criticism of you, Indiana, but how on earth does a water soluble substance "line the throat"? Two more swallows and it will be gone. At best a residue will be left round your teeth, leading to decay.
I have no experience of T1, but, from what I have read on here over the past year, it wouldn't surprise me if you could measure your honey and bolus for it. If so, do have a really big spoonful on me. Sounds like you need a treat!
Sally

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sally!
That's what I've done anyway, one big table spoon and an injection.
So far I haven't coughed since!

Indiana x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use honey and lemon all the time, simply bolus for the honey. No idea why it works but it certainly seems to sooth something!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 6 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I'm going to carry on with it then and try and take a flask of it to work tomorrow!
I hate having time off.

Indiana x

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get a sugar-free cough medicine which is ok for diabetics. Can't remember the name of it but seemed to work ok for me the last time I had a cough/cold. Previously I had used Lemsip and hadn't realised it contained sugar.
Last time I used the medicine mentioned above, Lemon & Ginger tea and the Lemsip capsules.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, hopefully I will get something and can make up with my fella and get a good nights sleep!!

Indiana x

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

I'm a firm believer in the healing properties of honey.
As a diabetic you'd need to limit how much you have and ideally have it after a meal with fibre and/or fat to help slow down the sugar absorption, counting it into the total carbs for the meal when you bolus.

If your blood glucose is high due to illness, I'd exercise caution with the honey.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I have a cough that keeps me awake at night I use Potter's Catarrh Pastilles.
I have no idea what they do to my BS as I've never tested while using them.

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robitussen is a sugar free cough syrup - I've used it for years when needed

And worryingly, it can also be used to treat kennel cough in dogs

Reactions: 9 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robitussen is a sugar free cough syrup - I've used it for years when needed

And worryingly, it can also be used to treat kennel cough in dogs

Benylin I good for horses too...! Never tried the stuff myself.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a personal fan of suppressing coughs.. If you have something on yer chest? Hoik it up..!

No real science behind my view, other than cough mixture seems to "dope" the vocal chords & singing shifts it...

Kelsie

You can get loads of medicines for cough/colds etc at pharmacies that are specific for diabetics-they just have no added sugar on them. Ask at your pharmacy and it was have massive letters on the top saying 'suitable for diabetics' :) I've used them all the time whenever under the weather. Hope you feel better soon :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App