Honeybaked Hams Turkey Breast

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone know if Honeybaked Hams roasted turkey breast without the honey coating is processed meat?
I have researched this for months and still can't find an answer. I have asked the employees. One says yes and the other says no.
Help from anyone would be appreciated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afraid so. Anything that has been treated like ham (soaked in baths of chemicals with additional flavours and preservatives) counts as processed.

A quick way to check is to look at the ingredients.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=291198026
Ingredients:
Pork (86%), Water, Salt, Dextrose, Breadcrumbs (0.6%), Stabiliser (Sodium Triphosphate), Pork Gelatine, Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate), Preservative (Sodium Nitrite), Breadcrumbs contain: Rice Flour, Maize Flour, Rapeseed Oil, Colours (Paprika Extract, Curcumin), Maize Starch, Salt, Dextrose

I have marked the things that I think it make it processed in red. These do include the breadcrumb coating, which you are going to remove, of course. :)

Another dead giveaway for being 'processed' is when things look smooth and mushed together with additives. Real meat actually looks like sliced muscle.

A

asparagusp

Well yes that's Tesco but Waitrose aka Duchy will be better! There is research into this and something they are going to add eventually to make it not so cancerous. I can't remember what though. The TV programme did say though that if you eat barbecued meats with mustard and presumably then processed meats then the risk declines.

The safest meat is chicken, as long as it's properly cooked!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every supermarket sells processed and unprocessed foods. We all get to choose the brand and amount of processing we want, and then pay accordingly.