1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Honeymoon period strangeness

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by TashT1, Feb 25, 2021.

1. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday I kind of accidentally experimented with not taking any novarapid at all & it’s perhaps paying me back this morning. I woke up on 11.6mmol which hadn’t happened in about 6 months. Looking at the libra the climb stated about 4am which is also the same time I got up for the loo & grabbed a drink. I’ve corrected now but my correction ratio is high at 2 units to drop 1mmol.

It’s got me thinking about what I can learn from this. Yesterday I ate a very low carb diet, about 35g in total. It’s not unusual for me to not need to bolus for breakfast & lunch eating only eggs for breakfast & salad for lunch with lots of meat & cheese. But at lunch time I was a bit extra hungry & my pancreas seemed to be helping out a bit since my basal dose had dropped me from 7 to 5 so I had a packet of crisps. Lunch was 15g carbs, I didn’t need any bolus & tested at 6mmol 2hrs later.

Tea comes around & by coincidences I’m trying out a new recipe that’s only 20g, ratio for tea is 1:8 so I should have injected 3 units but I didn’t. I was busy, the boys had a big fight, lots of distractions & I thought sod it lets see if my insulin will kick in. It did 2hrs later I’m still in range.

I went to bed on 7.4 tested at 4am when I stirred & was 7.2, so sometime after 4am my pancreas conked out or my liver kicked in some glucose. Both libra & finger prick say 11.6 at 7am.

So lesson learned, always bolus even if it’s a small amount because in missing those 3 units I’ve ended up taking 6 to correct.

(Edited by mod)

#1 TashT1, Feb 25, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2021
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook