Honeymoon period - type 1

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you AgaRosa I am going to read the link you posted now. I've bought some avacado today's do will try the artichokes...what do you use as the marinade?
To be honest I don't marinade - buy it already done from a Persian guy who has a small family business and sells at Oval farmers' market. I'm sure you could find good delicatessen or something online though. Good luck

Sent from my SM-T710 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

mbudzi

I was diagnosed as T1 and put on insulin straight away and stayed that way for 10 months. Due to unexplained hypos, it was agreed to reduce the insulin to see how I'd cope. For the last 9 months I have been free of all medication, including insulin.

I'm unsure what has happened, but I think injecting insulin gave my worn out, clapped out pancreas a rest and it's now firing, not on all cylinders, but quite a few. I have adopted a low carb diet < 30g per day in order not to overwork it, but I do check my bg levels at least 4 times a day watching for the inevitable rise that I expect to happen at some time.

Interesting!!! when I was diagnosed a few years back, I adopted LCHF diet and came off insulin for 6 months. Then I fell off the wagon and ate the carbs and needed to start insulin. I went through spirals of falling off the low carb wagon and each time I needed more background insulin. I now have a suspicion that high carbs are part of what is killing my beta cells. I have no evidence to support this ... but it feels like the beginning of a hypothesis.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Interesting!!! when I was diagnosed a few years back, I adopted LCHF diet and came off insulin for 6 months. Then I fell off the wagon and ate the carbs and needed to start insulin. I went through spirals of falling off the low carb wagon and each time I needed more background insulin. I now have a suspicion that high carbs are part of what is killing my beta cells. I have no evidence to support this ... but it feels like the beginning of a hypothesis.
You could be right. All I know is that sticking to my low carb diet means I have enough of my own insulin to cope and can stay away from injections and possible hypos.

My remaining beta cells might slowly be destroyed and then there's only one way to go, but I'll delay the Insulin for as long as I can.