Honeymoon period

edithh23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am 10 and I was wondering what happens when your honeymoon period ends? I have been having a lot of hypers . We corrected my levemire does. It is going down but does this have anything to do with honeymoon periods ending. Most people it seems to go down but that doesn't make sense it should go up??? Please tell me because my doctors think my period will only be 1 year and 6 months. But for me I have only been diagnosed for 3 months and a half. Do you think it is the end of the honeymoon period? And if so what happenes? thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @edithh23
The honeymoon period varies for everyone...from a few months to a few years...and some don't get it at all. The honeymoon period means that your body is still producing some insulin of it's own which means that your levemir (long acting insulin) dose will probably go up when your honeymoon period ends. As your dose is going down it would seem that either you're not yet out of your honeymoon period or that your diabetic team are still trying to find the right dose of long acting and short acting insulin to suit your individual needs..this can take a fair bit of playing around with to get it right. Have a chat with your diabetic team and ask them to explain it all to you so that you understand the in's and out's of it all.

Reactions: 2 people