Honeymoon Period

Sattiva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been hearing a lot about this honeymoon period. I've been on pen injections and am now on a pump I've noticed recently that after counting the carbs my BG has been running slightly higher after the bolus than it has been would this be an indication that my honeymoon period is coming to a end and that my pancreas has finally given up the ghost?

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sattiva - How long is it since your diagnosis? There are so many variables that can make you BG higher than you think it should be (based on carbs, insulin ratios etc). There's a lot of 'noise' about the honeymoon period, but my experience has been that over the years my ratios have needed to be recalibrated. And then of course there's the usual daily variables like the weather (ambient temperature), any weight changes, exercise/activity levels (oh and the type of excercise - aerobic vs anaerobic makes a difference for me). Also stress levels have an impact - this is not just the 'worry' type stress. Even just a fun social interaction can send my BG up. The only solution is to expect and accept a bit of fluctuation and have a target range rather than a specific value in mind. Hope this helps.